Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AndrewP
Helper I
Helper I

Option to choose "Don't Summarize" Missing. "Do not summarize" is not honored.

I'm trying to create a line chart or scatter plot

I have a column which is numerical and contains the (varying values) data I wish to plot

I have that column set to

Data Type: Whole Number

Format: Whole Number

Default Summarization: Do Not Summarize

My other column is an ID column containing mostly sequential integers

I have that set the same way as above.

I want to plot along the horizontal axis, the ID numbers, and then have a line showing the varying values.

I cannot get the values I have to show up.  It insists on choosing Sum, or Count, and does NOT give me the option for "Don't Summarize".

Please help me get this working.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

If you have just one metric per ticket number, then SUM doesn't matter.  You are SUMMING 1 data point.  Your example data showed a column of distinct ticket numbers and their hours open, so if you put that distinct list of ticket numbers on your axis, SUMMING the hours open will not show incorrect data.  If you have multiple records for ticket numbers, then you need to choose an aggregation or duplicate numbers on the axis.

I think where you are getting confused is that the SUM operation applies to the metric for each point on the X axis, not across the whole data set.

View solution in original post

Hi @AndrewP,

The line chart visual is used for displaying summarize data. You can image the line chart Axis property is the column group of the matrix, Legend property is the Row group of the matrix. If there were more than one record for the same intersection of the column and row groups, we need to aggregate the values. So there are many aggregate functions for summarize the data instead of "Do not Summarize".

The "Default Summarization: Do Not Summarize" option apply to the field itself. Once we place the filed into visuals, it will depend on the visual design to use this. In chart visual, "Do Not Summarize" is not available but in a table visual, it can support.

In your scenario, as your sample data contain one record for each Axis values, use the SUM() function will also display the raw data. But if there are duplicate record for each Axis, SUM will aggregate the values.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

Hi @AndrewP,

The line chart visual is used for displaying summarize data. You can image the line chart Axis property is the column group of the matrix, Legend property is the Row group of the matrix. If there were more than one record for the same intersection of the column and row groups, we need to aggregate the values. So there are many aggregate functions for summarize the data instead of "Do not Summarize".

The "Default Summarization: Do Not Summarize" option apply to the field itself. Once we place the filed into visuals, it will depend on the visual design to use this. In chart visual, "Do Not Summarize" is not available but in a table visual, it can support.

In your scenario, as your sample data contain one record for each Axis values, use the SUM() function will also display the raw data. But if there are duplicate record for each Axis, SUM will aggregate the values.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I have in a table month as 1 to 12 and year 2016, 2017 and based on this i have made a YTD calculation

. in the table the caclulation is showing correct data, as running total also but if I try to build a chart, showing YTD values across months, it display the wrong values, as I do not have the option to " Do not Summarize" as I have in the table display. 

If you have just one metric per ticket number, then SUM doesn't matter.  You are SUMMING 1 data point.  Your example data showed a column of distinct ticket numbers and their hours open, so if you put that distinct list of ticket numbers on your axis, SUMMING the hours open will not show incorrect data.  If you have multiple records for ticket numbers, then you need to choose an aggregation or duplicate numbers on the axis.

I think where you are getting confused is that the SUM operation applies to the metric for each point on the X axis, not across the whole data set.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Thanks for the explanation. Have a doubt:

//then you need to choose an aggregation or duplicate numbers on the axis.//

I don't want aggregation so how to choose duplicate numbers on axis ?

No, I want a line showing

Ticket 1 was open 5 hours

Ticket 2 was open 10 hours

Ticket 3 was open 2 hours

etc

The goal is to show how the open time fluctuated during the time range I'm using.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.