Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rhl94
Advocate III
Advocate III

Optimizing 12m rolling average

Hi

I'm looking to create a measure with 12 month rolling average. I've tried the quick measure "rolling average" and it works fine - except that I can't use any filter on it, otherwise it wont show anything. - e.g. can't filter the visual for specific clients or only last 2,5 years.
The Quick measure looks like this:

Autogenerated rolling average = 
IF(
	ISFILTERED('DB'[DateCreated]);
	ERROR("Time intelligence quick measures can only be grouped or filtered by the Power BI-provided date hierarchy or primary date column.");
	VAR __LAST_DATE = ENDOFMONTH('DB'[DateCreated].[Date])
	VAR __DATE_PERIOD =
		DATESBETWEEN(
			'DB'[DateCreated].[Date];
			STARTOFMONTH(DATEADD(__LAST_DATE; -12; MONTH));
			__LAST_DATE
		)
	RETURN
		AVERAGEX(
			CALCULATETABLE(
				SUMMARIZE(
					VALUES('DB');
					'DB'[DateCreated].[Year];
					'DB'[DateCreated].[QuarterNo];
					'DB'[DateCreated].[Quarter];
					'DB'[DateCreated].[MonthNo];
					'DB'[DateCreated].[Month]
				);
				__DATE_PERIOD
			);
			CALCULATE(
				[Averageprice of closed cases];
				ALL('DB'[DateCreated].[Day])
			)
		)
)

So I've tried to create my own, however it is running very slow (10-15 sec to visualize compared to the instant of the quick measure):

12m rolling average = 
CALCULATE (
[Averageprice of closed cases];
FILTER ('DB';
MIN ( 'Calendar'[Date] )
> DATE ( YEAR ( 'DB'[DateCreated] ); MONTH ( 'DB'[DateCreated] ); 1 )
&& MIN ( 'Calendar'[Date] )
<= DATE ( YEAR ( 'DB'[PGDateCreated] ); MONTH ( 'DB'[PGDateCreated] ) + 12; 1 )
)
)

NB: There is no relation between the Calendar table and the DB table in order for this to work.

Any suggestions to optimize this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@rhl94 

Remove the logical test for IF in the above formula or drag fields from Date Hierarchy to Slicers.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@rhl94 

Remove the logical test for IF in the above formula or drag fields from Date Hierarchy to Slicers.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

I use this for rolling 12 months. But just need make sure we have date table

Rolling 12 = CALCULATE(sum(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date],ENDOFMONTH(Sales[Sales Date]),-12,MONTH))  

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s.

Refer
https://radacad.com/creating-calendar-table-in-power-bi-using-dax-functions
https://www.archerpoint.com/blog/Posts/creating-date-table-power-bi

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/creating-a-simple-date-table-in-dax/

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution. In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @
Thanks. My Recent Blog -
Winner-Topper-on-Map-How-to-Color-States-on-a-Map-with-Winners , HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-trend
Power-BI-Working-with-Non-Standard-Time-Periods And Comparing-Data-Across-Date-Ranges

Connect on Linkedin

My calendar table is generated using CALENDARAUTO().

When marking it as a date table, I can no longer use the date column to generate the quick measure, as it is no longer a hierarchy

image.png

image.png

Try the same without making it as date table. But use the calendar date column in formula

It gives me the hierarchy back when removing mark as date table and allows me to create a quick measure using the date, however the visual is just blank. There is a relation between date from the two tables

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.