Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Optimize a Running Total

Hello community,

I manage the data of an app and would need some help to optimize the classical running total 

CALCULATE (
           DISTINCTCOUNT( 'Global table'[email] );
           FILTER(  ALL(  'Global table' ); 'Global table'[date] <= MAX( 'Global table'[date] ) )
                       )

I have a huge table that records important actions performed in the app and lots of table that details those events (1M5 rows growing every day), with the above formula, i get the right result however it is taking a very long time to load as I iterate through 1M5 rows.

The 'Global Table'

Event IDEmailDateaction
663rick14-juilsend
2805rick14-juilreceive
1034lea14-juilsend
3008rick15-juilSend
9987paul16-juilschedule
8070daniel16-juilsend
7987rick16-juilsend
1419daniel17-juilschedule
9103paul17-juilsend
6702rick17-juilreceive
7184rick17-juilreceive
3802daniel17-juilsend
4326lea17-juilschedule

I wanted to change the context and optimize this therefore I created a new table ('Users Info') that summarizes the emails and takes MIN(DATE) (which corresponds to the first date we see the person in our DataBase, EG the "sign_up" date). 

'Users Info' Table

EmailSign_Up
Rick14-juil
Lea14-juil
Paul16-juil
Daniel16-juil

I feel this table is the right way to go to optimize the running total but I'm running through several issues: 

using: 

CALCULATE(
          COUNTROWS( 'Users Info' );
          FILTER( 'Users Info'; 'Users Info'[Sign_up] <= MAX( 'Users Info'[Sign_up] )
           )
)

My issue is linked to the X Axis I use:

If use the dates from my 'Global Table' on the X Axis, I simply get the amount of people that were in the DB on each day (I get 'active users' instead of 'Sign up' users), No matter the hierarhcy (I got some weekdate groups, formatted day+month etc...)

In my table I typically get 2 people on the 14th, 1 on the 15th, 3 on the 16th, 4 on the 17th 

If I use the dates from my 'Users Info' table (therefore using the Sign_Up date column on the X axis), I get the right numbers for dates where some people signed up and some holes on the dates where no one signed up (as PBI does not find the date in the 'Users Info' table it ignores the formula...)

In my tables above I would typically get 2 people on the 14th of July, Blank on 15th, 3 people on 16th, 4 on the 17th. 

I hope there is a solution or a getaround to my issue, I hope the post is clear enough, let me know if I need to precise some things, and feel free if you have totally different solution for my issue! 

Best,

Leo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

Try to change you measure to make the filter on the Global Table [Date]

CALCULATE(
          FILTER( 'Users Info'; 'Users Info'[Sign_up] <= MAX( 'Global Table'[Date] )
           )
)

Then place the 'Global Table'[Date] on the x-axis should work as expected.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

You can have a better performance making an adjustment to your current formula. Having a ALL statement for the full table you will get all columns and all rows try to only add the columns you need to interact with:

CALCULATE (
           DISTINCTCOUNT( 'Global table'[email] );
           FILTER(  ALL(  'Global table'[date] ); 'Global table'[date] <= MAX( 'Global table'[date] ) )
                       )

This should work faster, try it and then tell me the result.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @MFelix,

Thank you for your answer, selecting only one column is indeed better but I is still taking ages to load the graph (10-20 secs) whereas it is alone in a page... And still crushes my poor RAM and even power BI cloud returns error message as it takes too long to load.. 

I feel I'm very close to getting something with the summarized table, the calculation is performed well when someone signed up during the week and I just have to return a value when nobody signed up in the week...Blanks in the graph.png

Here is a visual example of my issue... A Company where we launched our product early in march (that explains the peak) and who then had quite a few additional users so most weeks are filled, in some cases, no one installed during the week and the result returned is blank.

The Date axis which I take from 'Users Info'[Sign_up] with a 7 days group (for weeks) is a bit of a cheat but not really viable, I feel like I have to user the date from 'Global Table'[Date] which I use in most graph and works but it returns this:

Falling total.png

A not so running total yet some regular DISTINCTCOUNT for each week....

Hi @Anonymous,

Try to change you measure to make the filter on the Global Table [Date]

CALCULATE(
          FILTER( 'Users Info'; 'Users Info'[Sign_up] <= MAX( 'Global Table'[Date] )
           )
)

Then place the 'Global Table'[Date] on the x-axis should work as expected.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @MFelix,

Wow... Quite frustrating as I've spent a day scooting the internet to see if I could find someone with the same pattern.... I feel a bit dumb.. 

Thanks so much it worked, I have to precise for the people who might encounter the same pattern I had to remove the Bi-directionnal Cross-filtering between the two table (Users Info & Main table). Now it's one way: Users Info -> Main Table.

Thanks Felix,

L

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.