Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bboy0009
Helper II
Helper II

Optimize Performance in Power Query

Hi guys,

In Power Query , in a table , I have 2 or plus steps of rename separately. I wonder if I group them in one same step of rename, will I optimize the performance even if it's a little. Of course, they are independants of others steps of transformation. 

I would appreciate if there is some engineering explaination

Thank you in advance !

Have a nice weekend ! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoaoMarcelino
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @bboy0009 !

Every time we run a query or update it, there is a bunch of operations that Power Query/vertipaq do "behind the scenes".

I have duplicated a query "product" to "product (2)".
In "product, we have 2 renames separately (rename 1 and rename 2 - 2 separate steps):

JoaoMarcelino_0-1670004692987.png

In product (2), I've put together the 2 renames in just one step "renamed column":

JoaoMarcelino_1-1670004881445.png

This means that power query did half of the category operations, therefore half of the "effort" to get to the same result.
You can try this yourself here:

JoaoMarcelino_2-1670004973350.png

Depending on the options you select to "diagnose", several new audit queries will appear:

JoaoMarcelino_3-1670005111401.png

Despite reducing operations to "half" there is the question of organization: we should, has best practice to have our steps in Power Query organized and reduced to the minimum number, which avoids further confusion and eases the maintenance time 🙂

Hope I was of assistance!
Cheers
Joao Marcelino
If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
JoaoMarcelino
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @bboy0009 !

Every time we run a query or update it, there is a bunch of operations that Power Query/vertipaq do "behind the scenes".

I have duplicated a query "product" to "product (2)".
In "product, we have 2 renames separately (rename 1 and rename 2 - 2 separate steps):

JoaoMarcelino_0-1670004692987.png

In product (2), I've put together the 2 renames in just one step "renamed column":

JoaoMarcelino_1-1670004881445.png

This means that power query did half of the category operations, therefore half of the "effort" to get to the same result.
You can try this yourself here:

JoaoMarcelino_2-1670004973350.png

Depending on the options you select to "diagnose", several new audit queries will appear:

JoaoMarcelino_3-1670005111401.png

Despite reducing operations to "half" there is the question of organization: we should, has best practice to have our steps in Power Query organized and reduced to the minimum number, which avoids further confusion and eases the maintenance time 🙂

Hope I was of assistance!
Cheers
Joao Marcelino
If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.