Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bboy0009
Helper II
Helper II

Optimization by choosing good data type

Hi guys,

I am analyzing a PIBX and the previous developer has created a lot of steps to change the alphanumeric type to text. I think it's not mandatory to the restitution so I would like to delete them but I has a fear that could impact something. 

What do you think guys ? 

Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @bboy0009 

According to your description, your column is alphanumeral, if your column contains strings and numbers, I recommend that you use the Text format, because the data in this case exists strings, and we should use Text to identify it. In Power BI, this type should also be treated as text.

Whether it will have an impact if you want to convert the format needs to be judged comprehensively based on your business logic and existing operations.

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @bboy0009 

According to your description, you want to change the alphanumeric type to text and you are afraid if it may cause some error. Right?

First of all, for this case, you first need to see in Power Query if there are conversion issues related to this column, and whether it needs to be converted before it can be used.

Then you need to determine what the format of your field in the data source is, whether it meets your business logic needs, if it is characters + numbers, then Text type is no problem.

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Hi

You understood the inverse of what I said.

There is already steps to change alphanumeric to text and I would like to delete them but I have a fear that after the delete, there could be some impact.

If not, if I had a choice between alphanumeric or text, what is the best to choose ? 

Hi, @bboy0009 

According to your description, your column is alphanumeral, if your column contains strings and numbers, I recommend that you use the Text format, because the data in this case exists strings, and we should use Text to identify it. In Power BI, this type should also be treated as text.

Whether it will have an impact if you want to convert the format needs to be judged comprehensively based on your business logic and existing operations.

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Impossible to say without seeing the details.

Maybe think about what problem you are trying to solve.  Do you have a performance or size problem?  Or is there complicated dax that you can simplify by using a numeric type rather than text?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.