Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

chriswragge
Helper I
Helper I

Optimal Setup for "Include in Report Refresh"

Hi there,

I am wondering the optimal setup for the "Include in Report Refresh" feature.

For example: I have queries pulling from an third party API that I use for Vendor reporting. These create Table A and Table B. I then manipulate Table A and B seperately, before appending Table A to Table B (using the Query Editor) into a new query - Table C, which I load into my data model.

I feel like I have 4 options:

1. Enable "Include in Report Refresh" (IRR) for Tables A, B and C
  2. Enable IRR for Tables A and B only
  3. Enable IRR for Table C only
  4. Do away with creating Table C using the Query Editor, and do so via DAX. Then enable IRR for Tables A and B

Option 1

I think runs hits the API 4x in total. Once each for Tables A and B (desired behavior), and then twice again for Table C (undesired behvior). Not sure if this bug on Microsofts part, or intended functionality. See link - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Disabling-quot-Include-in-Report-Refresh-quot-Bug-or-featur...

Option 2

This looks to be a good option, but I am unsure if Table C gets updated with the new data if I disable it's IRR functionality

Option 3

I think this hits the API twice, but runs the queries sequentially and thereby increasing the total query time. It would be great to run Query A and B.

Query 4

A backup option for option 2. The downside of this is the DAX can get kind of messy I decide to perform transformations other than a UNION. Plus, it adds bloat to my data model as I need to enable load for A, B plus the DAX Table C

Can anyone shed light on these hypotheses and point me to towards the optimal setup?

3 REPLIES 3
ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

Hello all:

Trolling the internet for "include in report refresh" and came across this forum post. I see that someone has correctly identified the fact that this option is only honored in Power BI Desktop and totally ignored in the service.

I see this as a BUG and am on a mission to get this fixed. If you can, please log in to the the User Voice site for Power BI and lend your vote to this item: https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=c464fb1a-25e4-4c93-ba72-288a6ff12127

It currently has over 450 votes, but Microsoft seems to be totally ignoring it. More votes means they might sit up and take notice. Let's help spread the word!

Thanks.

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI,@chriswragge 

"Include in report refresh" option only works for Power BI Desktop, it doesn't impact the refresh process in Power BI Service.

In Power BI Desktop, when  you disable "Include in report refresh" option, data will not update in report view of Power BI Desktop after you click "Refresh" button in Desktop.

For example

IF you enable IRR for Tables A and B only

then after you click "Refresh" button in Desktop,table A and B will refresh but table C will not refresh.

IF you enable IRR for Tables C

then after you click "Refresh" button in Desktop,table A and B will not refresh but table C will refresh.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Apologies - I should have been clearer. The API I was referring to was the an external API (the Adobe Analytics API), and not PowerBI's API

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.