Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Kontrast
Frequent Visitor

Operations on filtered Tables

Hello 🙂 

I've created two connected Tables. (1:n)

The First one is shown as a "Donut Chart". So when i select ohne Part of the "Donut" the second table gets filtered by the selected value in the Chart. 

Now i want to count the entries in the filtered Table but he always counts all the entries existing in the table without any filter.

For Example i have one Table (Name of Pizza) and another Table where for every Pizza the different ingredients are listed. Now, when i chose in the first Table "Magherita" the second table shows the ingredients of a magherita Pizza. But doing the Count operation returns the number of ingredients of all available Pizzas. 

How is it possible to only work with selected entries in a table ? 

Regards 

Kontrast 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Kontrast,

Yes, we are not able to list the different ingredients in a new table dynamically. As a workaround, you could try below measure to calculate the number of different records between the selected pizza and the offer of the supplier:

Difference =
COUNTROWS (
    EXCEPT (
        VALUES ( 'Pizza&ingredients'[ingredients] ),
        VALUES ( supplier[ingredients] )
    )
)

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Kontrast,

Can you post a sample data and your data relationship? 

Regards,

Carlos.

Sure, here is an Example.

I clicked on the "Frutti di mare" row. 

The Table "Table" gets the informations from the Table "Pizza ingredients" but loses the filter.

The result I whised were that the Table "Table" showes only the ingredients of the Frutti di mare Pizza, so i can work with the same data in an other Context. So the Table "Table" is like a Copy of table "Pizza+Ingredients".

Filter.PNGModell.PNG

Hi @Kontrast,

Calculated table is initialized once you create it. It values won't be dynamically changed according to slicer selection. Only measures can return dynamical values.

Why do you need to create such a table? What is the usage in other context? If you want to count the entries of Table "Pizza ingredients" against the slicer filter, you could directly use this measure:

Count rows=COUNT('Pizza ingredients'[Ingredients])

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for your reply.

I want to compare the selected ingredients with other data. 

For example comparing them with a table who shows the offer of a supplier. 

The Goal is to select a pizza -> get the ingrendients -> compare them with the offer of the supplier -> and then show if the different ingredients of the selected pizza are available by the supplier. 

Comparing the ingredients isn't the problem but working with dynamically filtered Table doesnt work. 

As you said "Calculated table is initialized once you create it", i always grab the hole table with the *Pizza+ingredients[ingredients]* and not the selected ones. 

Best regards

Kontrast

Hi @Kontrast,

Yes, we are not able to list the different ingredients in a new table dynamically. As a workaround, you could try below measure to calculate the number of different records between the selected pizza and the offer of the supplier:

Difference =
COUNTROWS (
    EXCEPT (
        VALUES ( 'Pizza&ingredients'[ingredients] ),
        VALUES ( supplier[ingredients] )
    )
)

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Hey @v-yulgu-msft

mhh ok then i have to find another way to dynamically compare my Tables.

Maybe this is an idea for some propective updates in Power BI 😄  Would be really helpfull. 

Thank you for your help!

Best regards 

Kontrast

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.