Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

drjenk

Opening a mysql database

I’m trying to use power bi desktop to set up a simple query of data in our mysql database.  When choosing "get data", I can see our data source, put in my server info and credentials, I can see the tables in question, of which I need 3 of to accomplish my query.  When I select them and say “load”, it tries to import the whole of the tables, and eventually gives memory errors.  How can I make it such that I tell it I want to use the tables for my queries, but don’t try and load the entire table onto my laptop ahead of my queries? 

This is my first time trying to use power bi since taking the "dashboard in a day" class a few months ago.  I do remember going through the importing of data, but we only used spreadsheets in the class and not an actual database.

Thanks for any insight,

David Jenkinson

2 REPLIES 2
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

@drjenk

Hi David,

Maybe you could create several views in your Mysql. Then connect to these views from Power BI.  

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

As long as you use the UI in the query pane (when you go into get data), you can filter the columns prior to loading. Just click edit instead of load, and apply a filter to the columns. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.