Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pjeremy
Regular Visitor

Opening Options Hangs Power BI

Hi,

I ran into a really weird and very annoying problem with Power BI September Update. But when I try and open the "Options and Settings" in the Power BI menu. I get the round wait disk for about a second and the Power BI hangs. 

I looked to see if there was any other window, I waited 10 mins, I have run a repair - Nothing.

Any ideas???

Paul

8 REPLIES 8
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi, @pjeremy

In this scenario, as I am not experience in Windows application event, I would suggest you check the Windows Event Log to determine what makes your application hang. 

Here is an example written about using Windows Event log, you can take it a for a reference:

Scan the Windows Event Log for your application crashes and hangs

Thanks,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-yulgu-msftYuliana,

Didn't think of that! But I had a look and get the following, On Event ID 11 and 27.

The description for Event ID 27 from source MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace1611316137 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

I also had two install errors that I retried and worked

Product: Microsoft Power BI Desktop (x64) -- Error 1310. Error writing to file: C:\Config.Msi\86b4e5.rbf.  System error 5.  Verify that you have access to that directory.

Product: Microsoft Power BI Desktop (x64) -- Error 1310. Error writing to file: C:\Config.Msi\86b4b1.rbf.  System error 5.  Verify that you have access to that directory.

One file is locked in the directory, I'm gonna see if I can clear it then reinstall. 

Thanks for replying

Paul

Hi,

I cleared the locked file in Config.msi, I then uninstalled Power BI. Reinstalled a fresh - with no errors. But again "Options and Settings" are hanging.

I looks like a similar problem to this person and it's recent too!!

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Desktop-Crashes-in-initialization/td-p/72284

I see similar errors now to the ones this user has....

The description for Event ID 27 from source MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace338277858 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

The description for Event ID 11 from source MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace338277858 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

The description for Event ID 21 from source MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace338277858 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

The description for Event ID 22 from source MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace338277858 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

The description for Event ID 72 from source MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace338277858 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\bin\FlightRecorderSnapshotDef.xml

The description for Event ID 5 from source MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace338277858 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

The description for Event ID 0 from source MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace338277858 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services
64 Bit Enterprise
x64
RTM

The description for Event ID 46 from source MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace338277858 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

Hi @pjeremy,

Sorry for the delay. From the error message, it looks like the MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace was the root fact that caused the application hangs. You can repair this component for a test as is figured out in the error log.

Thanks,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

We have the same issue, which prevents us to use this as corporate software. Can Microsoft please solve this problem?

I have suddenly started getting the same error when I try to launch Power BI Desktop.  The splash screen will pop up saying "Initialing Model" and then shuts down.  I get the error message:

MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace763091824 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

There is no way I have seen to repair this. 

It used to work fine.

Hi @Yuliana_Gu

Is there any news on this? I have installed the new version and still I get the same issue.

Thanks,

@v-yulgu-msft

There is no where that I can repair this. I tried repairing Power BI. But this doesn't help.

The error log doesn't give me any information on how to repair either.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.