Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Saes
Helper I
Helper I

Open PBIX File from SharePoint

Hello all,

Is it possible to store and access a PBIX file from SharePoint via the PowerBi Desktop?

My reason for asking is that I have previously used my OneDrive, but I've started to run out of space for the number of reports and other files I have stored on there. I've migrated a few PBIX reports onto SharePoint, but I cannot work out how to open the files through the desktop app to continue working on them. The only solution I've found seems to involve downloading the file and re-uploading them.

Can anyone assist with this?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Saes 

Try the video, once the folder is synced you can access the files on your PC.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/sync-sharepoint-files-and-folders-87a96948-4dd7-43e4-aca1...

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Saes , usually the way to open any file from the share point same what you have one drive, only url changes

Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Saes 

Sure you can store PBIX files same as any other files in SharePoint folders and access these, just sync the folder. 

Best Regards,
Mariusz

LinkedIn

Hi @Mariusz, that's good to hear. Is there a unique way of accessing the files - I'm clicking File > Open, but cannot navigate to the SharePoint site - it doesn't appear anywhere. Is this the step I'm missing?

Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Saes 

Try the video, once the folder is synced you can access the files on your PC.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/sync-sharepoint-files-and-folders-87a96948-4dd7-43e4-aca1...

Best Regards,
Mariusz

LinkedIn

I´m afraid I had the same problem and this solution is less than ideal.  After syncing files it´s very common for that sync to fail and therefore people are working with different versions of files. 

I have this issue now with a pbix file that lives on sharepoint.  Because we can not open them in sharepoint (which I find incredible), we have had to sync to our computers (as you have suggested) and since then my colleague opens the file and when I do I dont see the updates she´s made.  It remains as it was for me previously.  What is the solution to this?  Is it saving local files somewhere else? 

As a work around I have to open the file, update and then save to my desktop and replace the previous file on sharepoiont.  It´s not really working either.  

It really would be great if I could work properly with a microsoft product within the microsoft infrastructure.  

Can anyone help with this?  

@Mariusz Thank you! That was the solution I was looking for - syncing the files. Such a simple step, but never mentioned any of the guidance I had read through. Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.