Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Open Claims vs Closed Claims Ratio

Hi All,

I have a requirement where we need to find claims that were closed in a year.  However, the claim could have been opened last year, or the previous years, but have not closed yet.

example: i have a claim that opened in 2016, but finally closed in 2019.  i want to add that claim as a closed claim counted in 2019.

I have a visual using opened year as a column, this works well for all open claims within that calendar year.  

Now i want to add the closed claims for that year, but the data is wrong because it is taking the claims that were opened during the same year and closed during the same year.

These are the total closed claims within a calendar year.

I need to be able to display all opened claims from previous years, that were closed in, for example, 2019, and then calculate a ratio of close claims/open claims.

Screenshot of my dataset:

How would I do this?

5 REPLIES 5
smarthp29
Helper I
Helper I

Open Claims = Countdistinctnoblank[claim_No]

Closed Claims = Calculate(Countdistinctnoblank(claim_No),status = "Closed")

Now your Table will be Setup_Dt, Open Claims, Closed Claims.

I am unsure if this is what you are looking for in terms of numbers. Based on the above calculation, you basically do not care when the claim was closed and all your tagging should be based on the Setup_Dt. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@smarthp29 ,

I need to be able to display the year the claim was closed.

Create a dim_date table which has all the dates. 

Import your fact table twice and connect it with the dim_date table i.) Setup_Dt ii.) Closed_dt

Once you do that, Do the same formulas and get Open count from the setup table and closed count from the closed table.

For both the formulas, make dim_date as your home table. 

You can drag and drop the Date from dim_date and your calculated fields.

You second table could also be filtered by closed for faster processing and you can directly used Closed count from it instead of using Calculate.

Hope this one works.

Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you for that.  i have created a sample data set that might help.  i will try and test your solution.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ihvr3zspjboly5q/openclosedclaims.pbix?dl=0

edhans
Super User
Super User

How to get good help fast. Help us help you.
How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly
How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.