Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lcasey
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Open Bid - Power BI Visual for Financial reporting - How much would you charge?

Is anyone interested in bidding on developing the functionality of the Hiearchy slicer to include values for exclusive use in Financial reporting within Power BI?

Basically the Hiearchy Slicer is a perfect solution to grouping accounts and being able to expand and collapse them.

Here is  rough sample of the Hiearchy Slicer allowing Data Values:

01.jpg

There is a field in the slicer called Values.  By simply dropping a value field into the Slicer we should be able to:

1. Expand / Collapse as needed.

2. Sub totals and Grand Totals will be displayed for the groupings

3. Keep this as a Slicer, becouse the ability to expand and collapse data, but then select a checkbox brings in a whole bunch of usefull functionality for this new slicer. We can expand, collapse, and also filter based on this slicer.

4.  Take note of the screen shot above. Now imagine clicking the triangle to the left and expanding all the way dow to the account level. L:et the numbers group like a matrix.

02.jpg

Can Anyone assist with this project and How much would you charge?

11 REPLIES 11
Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@lcasey

The New Matrix Visual (preview) maybe can help you?

Lima - Peru

Not even Close,

I work with Financial users all day long.  That new Visual is more confusing and not usable for the Executive staff or any of the Financial report users. I got laughed right out of the meeting room when I showcased the new Microsoft Visual. 

The Hiearchy Slicer works exactly perfect, except it does not allow values to be added to it.  If Someone could get Values added to it and formating correctly with the ability to have a link column , it would solve 100% of all the financial reporting needs.

Every one of the executives and report users agreed that the Hiearchy Slicer is exactly perfect and all it needs is to allow values be added so that it would be a financial friendly visual in which all users could immediatly understand and use.

After re-reading your original post and carefully looking at the screenshots you provided, I fail to see how the new matrix visual doesn't satisfy your need.  Can you please elaborate on why it doesn't work for your use case?

# 1  - There are no expand collapse buttons in the new Visual

# 2 - Senior Executives at our organization pointed out that using the drill buttons on the top of the visual either expand all the layers down, but they do not have the ability to simply select one specific expand collapse buttion as the entire visual then filters immediatly loosing sight of all others. Like if you JUST want to expand Dues under Revenue, you dont want to Filter only that, you just want the revenue \ dues to be expanded showing all other collapsed categories along with this single expanded category. In the new Visual its all or nothing.

# 3 - There is no Subtotals or Grand Totals making it useless to financial folks.  There is a subtotal at the Top of the Visual , but this is completely backwards from what true financil reporting does and thats subtotal and Grand Total all results in the grouping.

# 4 When selecting a sub selection , the Total of the Category above is wrong.  So if I drill in to just dues, the grid shows the same amount for Dues as for all Revenue. It does not calculate properly as it forces a filter and not a TRue expand Collapse function.

Again,  The HIEARCHY SLICER is the perfect solution if it would display Values.

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg

05.jpg

You can in fact expand just one category (for both row and column headers), but you are correct that the other categories will not be displayed in their collapsed state.

Read more here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-march-feature-summary/#matrix

The other aspects you point out are valid.  Have you looked at @ImkeF's blog? She has some articles on creating financial reports in PBI that may be useful (http://www.thebiccountant.com/).  It would be nice if this kind of functionality was easy and natively available from PBI desktop (and hopefully they will add to the functionality to get it closer).  What you are describing sounds like a classic pivot table, so you would think it would be "easy" to replicate this functionality in PBI.  

Specifically regarding financial reporting, take a look at the following: http://www.thebiccountant.com/2017/01/16/easy-profit-loss-and-other-account-statements-part2/

@lcasey  I have to say I created the Idea on Aug 6, 2015 and this is really really disappointing!

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/9207006-matrix-collapse-expand-bu...

Whoever developed this Matrix Preview has never ever used a Pivot Table!

I'm glad you posted, explained and took screenshots...

Unfortunately I think it will be all in vain...

It is time consuming and exhausting having to explain why you need this really really basic functionality

And you know what they'll tell you - PBI is a visualization tool for aggregating data not displaying details

Why do you need Expand/Collapse ... go back to Excel...

EDIT: Yes just look at the pushback you got here too - "I fail to see how the new matrix visual doesn't satisfy your need..." 

And we haven't even discussed SORTING in the Matrix at each level

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Matrix-Sorting/m-p/131534#M56095

Don't hold your breath for any real improvements...

unless Microsoft embeds some Excel Pivot Table, PowerView and PowerMap experts into the PBI Team to bring the features everyone is asking for...

There's one common theme in the Ideas forum - ...like in Excel..., ...like in PowerView..., ...like in PowerMaps...

Good Luck! Smiley Happy

Thanks Sean,

And I appologize for the blown gasket.  I just couldnt beleive what was presented.  You are absolutely correct. Whoever developed this new visual certainly did not ever use a pivot table!

I wonder what the hold up is.  It has to be something financial or political from within Microsoft preventing this basic of all functionalities,   Microsoft has some of the smartest, most talented code writers  in the world.   It can not possibly be a technical glitch preventing this functionality from being implimented. 

I wish I could write code. I would take the existing Hiearchy Slicer and turn it into a Financial Matrix Slicer.  I really beleive that the Hiearchy Slicer would be a good solution if it provided a well formated Matrix of Values with subtotals and Totals.  It would solve so many immediate financial reporting issues.  Its like half way there already.

But that is just a quick fix, as I truly beleive the full Excel pivot tablefunction can be created as a visual.  Just simply drop in the Pivot Table Matrix   to provide full pivot table capabilities (Including formating) which would in turn greatly support the continued growth of this product.

Lets see what the April release brings.  I will never give up hope on Microsoft, they do some really amazing things sometimes.

I hope somebody looks at the Hiearchy Visual as a quick easy fix for the next release while they work away at a true Pivot Table Matrix.

Pls give feedback to the team here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-matrix-visual/

The product group has started an own survey on this feature - don't miss that out !!

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Okay another Survey taken! (BTW I've taken ALL Surveys on the subject matter!)

I've posted Ideas and commented on other peoples Ideas about the Matrix functionality.

The fact that we keep having to take surveys about this... (I'm convinced the PBI Team has no PivotTable experts)

Anyone who has actually used PowerPivot Tables would have incorporated these so obviously missing features by now!

Expand/Collapse buttons should do ONLY this - Expand or Collapse! August 6, 2015

They should NOT FILTER the data in any way!

The Totals at all levels should/must remain unchanged including the Grand Totals for Rows and Columns!

I did again rank Sorting at Each Level as number 1 in priority as I did the last time I took the similar survey! Oct 27, 2016

Today is March 9, 2017 Smiley Happy

To conclude on a positive note at least we got Cross-Highlighting Smiley Happy

Thx for the reference @dkay84_PowerBI , but unfortunately my techniques also don't enable selective drill down. The closest to this request I can think of at the moment is this:

https://twitter.com/tommartens68/status/839072650211262465

Show the details of your selection in a separate window. (Just adjust the separate "Detail"-report with the other measures/columns as well - the cross-fitering-feature should be able to do this).

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Here is a sample of a true Expand/Collapse function:

1. Notice I Expanded  Dues

2. All other categories stay collapsed,

3. I can see subtototals of all Revenue

01.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.