Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Only show visual if there is data

I use API requests to retrieve data about events. If there are ongoing events, the source returns a table with columns and rows of data, and if not the API simply returns "null". I also present some visuals on a dashboard that work perfectly while there are ongoing events, but these break when the API returns "null" as they cannot find the columns they visualize. This also breaks the scheduled data refreshes in PBI Service.

My goal is that the visuals just display nothing instead of breaking, i.e. the table visuals shows an empty table and the map has no dots on it. Is this possible?

Example of logic I want to implement is:
if data is available -> show visual with data as normal
if data is not available -> show visual template without values instead of raising an error

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous You will need to modify your query so that if the API returns "null" that you still return a table with the columns. This should fix your data refresh issue as well as well as your visuals issue, something along the lines of:

let
  Source = <some api call>
  NextStep = if Source = null then Table.FromRecords( ... ) else Source
  <rest of your steps>
in
  <last step>

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous You will need to modify your query so that if the API returns "null" that you still return a table with the columns. This should fix your data refresh issue as well as well as your visuals issue, something along the lines of:

let
  Source = <some api call>
  NextStep = if Source = null then Table.FromRecords( ... ) else Source
  <rest of your steps>
in
  <last step>

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler Thank you for your quick reply. I have now implemented the conditional part to the code. It is working in cases where there are events present, but when there are no events it gives the following error:

"The name 'col1' is already used for a column on table 'Query1'. Choose a different name."

Could it be because this part is considered a separate table? I would have thought that the condition would mean only one of the tables would ever exist at the same time, but the error persists. 

Table.FromRecords( ... )

I can see in power query that both cases with and without events is working properly, producing a filled and an empty table respectively. The error appears only when I press close&apply.

@Anonymous Is it possible to share the code from Advanced Editor, probably don't need all of it. I need to see how I can test this.

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler Turns out the problem was caused by some unrelated spagetti code, and I was able to get it working using your solution. Thank you for your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.