Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ryan1982
Helper I
Helper I

Only aggregate distinct texts from different rows into the same column?

Hello everyone,

I am trying to aggreate texts from different rows to one column. Those texts from different rows are NOT unique.

An example is as below:

Order record table:

order_record.JPG 

Target table:

distinct_list.JPG

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ryan1982 ,

We can use the following measure in a table visual to meet your requirement:

distinctAggregateMeasure =
CONCATENATEX ( DISTINCT ( 'Table'[Order_Product] ), [Order_Product], "," )

2.PNG

Or we can just create a calculated table using following formula:

AggregateTable =
SUMMARIZECOLUMNS (
    'Table'[Customer],
    "Text", CONCATENATEX ( DISTINCT ( 'Table'[Order_Product] ), [Order_Product], "," )
)

3.PNG

BTW, pbix as attached.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ryan1982 ,

We can use the following measure in a table visual to meet your requirement:

distinctAggregateMeasure =

2.PNG

Or we can just create a calculated table using following formula:

AggregateTable =
SUMMARIZECOLUMNS (
    'Table'[Customer],
    "Text", CONCATENATEX ( DISTINCT ( 'Table'[Order_Product] ), [Order_Product], "," )
)

3.PNG

BTW, pbix as attached.

Best regards,

Thank you. It works perfectly. Could you kindly explain how CONCATENATEX work by using this case?

I am a little bit confuse why both DISTINCT ( 'Table'[Order_Product] ) and DISTINCT ( 'Table') work.

Below is the table for DISTINCT('Table')

text2.JPG

I feel like CONCATENATEX work in this way: Power BI will go through each row (which has unique combination) and return as well as aggregate the value in expression. (which is order_Product here).

But I don't really sure why 'Table'[Order_Product] also works since it's just a table as below.

text3.JPG

Thanks again.

Hi @ryan1982 ,

First of all, the formula use a SUMMARIZECOLUMNS function, let us explain it as a easy way, in your case, it will get all the distinct value of 'Table'[Customer], For example, Customer 1 …… Customer 4, then for the four custom, it will add a column using the formula in third parameter:

this formula will evaluate for the table which contain 'Table'[Customer], Such as for Customer, this formula will calculate result for following table:

CustomerOrder_Product
Customer 1A
Customer 1A
Customer 1C
Customer 1D
Customer 1E

Then the CONCATENATEX function will evaluate each line of DISTINCT ( 'Table'[Order_Product] ), and concate each [Order_Product] with the "," (the third parameter).

DISTINCT ( 'Table'[Order_Product] ) and DISTINCT ( 'Table') will get the same result because in the summeriza function, the Customer will be same, so the two function is Customer 1 will be following

Order_Product
A
C
D
E

CustomerOrder_Product
Customer 1A
Customer 1C
Customer 1D
Customer 1E

You can see the Order_Product column is the same. When the CONCATENATEX for the above tables, it only concate the order_product column, so it get the same result.

The main point is the SUMMARIZECOLUMNS function, the new column expression is evaluate for different part of table, not all the table.

Best regards,

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Please use concatenatex

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/concatenatex-function-dax

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/DAX-Commands-and-Tips/Concatenatex-with-Distinct-column-values/td-p...

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution. In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @
Thanks.

My Recent Blog - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Comparing-Data-Across-Date-Ranges/ba-p/823601

Thanks for your answer too! It's sad that I can only select one solution!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.