Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zeel801
Frequent Visitor

Ongoing Publishing Issues

So I have been running into several issues while publishing a report from my Power BI Desktop application. I opened two service tickets (going on 3 weeks with minimal support) for the issue but the issue typically changes by the time i get the response a week later and the support website will not let me open a pro ticket for some reason,

Anyway, so at first I was recieving the following error:

Error Message:

Publishing failed for an unknown reason. (FailedToRefreshPackageAfterImportError)

Stack Trace:

BackendUrl: https://wabi-us-east2-redirect.analysis.windows.net/

ActivityId: 9b469d9f-d381-420b-b70e-47b2398e1304

RequestId: 3c6e0537-c33d-4200-aa6c-90fba9ab24e5

ErrorCode: FailedToRefreshPackageAfterImportError

System.InvalidOperationException: Publishing failed for an unknown reason. (FailedToRefreshPackageAfterImportError)

There were a few other issues as well but they never lasted long. But now I am getting no errors and it is saying it is publishing successfully but when I open the report on the web app it is still on an old version of the report. I did add some custom visuals but they are directly from the microsoft site and this sisue was occuring before they were added. The interesting thing is I can usually fix the issue by deleting the report on the web app and then publishing, but we have about 20 dashboards based on those reports and cannot keep recreating them every day. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I only got into renaming because of this issue. I have tried to rename on the desktop and publish as a new dataset and report on the web app just to see if it is working and it failed. I have also tried to delete the report and dataset from the web now and tried to republish and still nothing. This issue has been persistent well before any name change occured. 

at this point I am about to give up on Power BI, I have had to recreate the same dashboards 6 times now (will be 7 soon), potentially recreate my scheme and reports, and have pushed back projects over a month pending a fix for these issues. 

I even attempted to purchase a Pro ticket for 3 days and the site kepy giving me an error. Pro is now letting me purchase but I am not confident there is a fix and can not justify spending upwards of $2000 to fix issues before even being able to test out the software. 

edit: in an effort to remedy the issue, I disabled all queries and was planning on adding them back one by one and publishing after each addition. I made my first query and published under all new names. Interestingly enough I found that it did not fail and when I went to the web app found a previous attempt at this report I was originally attempting to publish appeared. I hit refresh and it went away, but I am now continuing to add back table by table (enable data load) and testing tof ind the issue. 

Edit 2: So I continued doing this and ran into the same issue, what I did find however was that the aggregated and expanded columns on one of my tables was causing an issue. By replacing amy filter functions with calcualte instead and disposing of all aggregate/expand/merge queries I was finally able to get it to load back up properly while decreasing the file size significantly. Thank you for the assistance Meysun

edit 3: and its down again. Failed to refresh after publish

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
student
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I made a dasboard with Power BI Desktop. I published it in the app online. But now it wound refresh. It doen't give an error but the data doesn't change. The original source in in sharepoint to Power BI Pro and from there to Power BI online.

Does anybody know how to fix this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having same issues for a week now with 80% of my reports. Nothing helps. They even assigned a helpdesk person for me, but that person was obviously worthless. 

It doesn't help if you import on the website versus publishing from the desktop.

We've tried everything. Nothing helps.

Microsoft promised to deploy the fix yesterday (after a week of struggles), but nothing changed this morning.

In the midst of monthly and quarterly financial reporting, we are kind of ready to jump the ship. This stuff is beyond ridiculous.

Prashant_Salvi
Frequent Visitor

The only cause of this issue is when we implement merged queries in power BI report.

If power BI team or anybody knows its solution it will be highly appreciated.

leokalas
Regular Visitor

I had a similar problem yesterday.

I used the send Frown and email to Microsoft and recieved a response after 24 hours.

It was confirmed there has been a recent issue to publishing services.

Not sure how widespread issue is?

Regards

Leo

From: Power BI Desktop Feedback [mailto:pbidesfb@microsoft.com] Sent: Tuesday, 16 February 2016 6:57 AM To: Leo Kalas <leo.kalas@onsite.com.au> Subject: Re: Send a Frown (Error) - 15/02/2016 1:08 PM

Leo,

Thank you for the feedback. PowerBI.com's publishing service has been experiencing downtime and we're investigating the issue.

Sincerely,

Taylor Clark

Microsoft Power BI Team  

I am having the same issue and it is really frustrating .  Re creating the report again seems to be the only sure shot solution . 

The Power BI  desktop report are created on the SSAS live connection . The Data set on the Power Bi service started to give a refresh warning , when tring to re publish ran into this issue. Landed up creating severla reports again by adding a new source , We have already gone live on this and such refresh issues is making it really difficult  for us to manage . Please suggest a way we could avoid this . 

Thanks ,

Mitsu

I am facing the same issue when I try to publish a new report/visualization. Is there a solution yet?

Detailed error:

Error Message:

Publishing failed for an unknown reason.

Stack Trace:

Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.PowerBIService.PowerBIServiceException: Publishing failed for an unknown reason. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Publishing failed for an unknown reason. ---> System.Web.HttpUnhandledException: Response Body:
{"id":"1f95e78c-d4f9-49b2-afe7-b2842bba0834","importState":"Failed","createdDateTime":"2016-04-28T14:09:27.11","updatedDateTime":"2016-04-28T14:09:27.11","error":{"code":""},"name":"Adalytics.pbix"}
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.PowerBIService.PowerBIServiceProxy.GetUploadStatus(String statusUrl, String activityId)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.PowerBIService.Flows.PublishReportFlow.WaitForUploadToComplete(String activityId, String statusUrl, CancellationToken cancellationToken, String& datasetId, String& reportUrl)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.PowerBIService.Flows.PublishReportFlow.<>c__DisplayClass13.<PublishReport>b__12()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.PowerBIService.Flows.BaseFlow`1.MakeWebRequest(WebRequestFunc webRequest, Int32 maxTriesAllowed)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.PowerBIService.Flows.PublishReportFlow.PublishReport(IFileManager fileManager, String activityId, Boolean overwrite, Boolean configureGateway, PromptUserForGatewayFunc promptUserForGatewayCallback, CancellationToken cancellationToken, String& reportUrl, String& datasetId, Boolean& gatewayConfigured, Boolean& dataSourceNeedsCredentials)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.PowerBIService.Flows.PublishReportFlow.<ExecuteInternal>b__0()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.FloatingDialog.KoPublishDialog.<<OnLoad>b__4>d__5.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<HandleAsyncExceptions>d__0.MoveNext()

Invocation Stack Trace:

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.FeedbackErrorInfo..ctor(String message, Nullable`1 errorCode, String requestId, Exception exception)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass1.<HandleException>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<HandleAsyncExceptions>d__0.MoveNext()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.MoveNextRunner.Run()
at System.Threading.Tasks.AwaitTaskContinuation.RunCallback(ContextCallback callback, Object state, Task& currentTask)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.FinishContinuations()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Finish(Boolean bUserDelegateExecuted)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.TrySetException(Object exceptionObject)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder`1.SetException(Exception exception)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.FloatingDialog.KoPublishDialog.<<OnLoad>b__4>d__5.MoveNext()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.WindowManager.ShowDialog[T](T form, IWin32Window owner)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.Ux.FloatingDialog.FloatingDialog.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner, Nullable`1 showTimeout)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.FloatingDialog.KoPublishDialog.ShowDialogAndPublish()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.FloatingDialog.KoPublishDialog.TryShowDialogAndPublish(String groupId, IWin32Window ownerWindow, WindowsHost windowsHost, IWindowService shellService, IReportManager reportManager, IFileManager fileManager, IPowerBIServiceClient powerBIServiceClient, IAuthenticationManager authenticationManager, IClusterManager clusterManager, Boolean configureGateway, TelemetryUserActionId entryPoint, LocalizedString title)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.MainWindow.<>c__DisplayClass32.<<PublishReport>b__30>d__35.MoveNext()
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.WindowManager.ShowDialog[T](T form, IWin32Window owner)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.WindowService.ShowStatusDialog(LocalizedString message, Action cancelCallback, Nullable`1 showDelayInMs)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.BusyHelper.ShowBusyDialog(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClassb.<Main>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

BackendUrl
https://wabi-us-north-central-redirect.analysis.windows.net/

ActivityId
8543254b-1c22-4f48-ad96-ed5442daf306

RequestId
d0a9efd4-89c3-4ce3-bcf9-e6068407006e

I am getting similar errors and am unable to publish. The desktop just tells me it is an unknown error while the site simultaneously gives me the following...

"Failed to import data

Do you want to delete the dataset and report?
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Activity IDe030e48e-6599-465f-bf11-3c864a982c9b
Request IDf37af41f-0dfd-b6c7-1b5e-51545475ba52
Correlation ID67989589-8cd2-cf4f-1a81-0f817ffff0fc
Status code200
TimeTue Sep 06 2016 10:13:49 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time)
Version13.0.1605.432

Edit: Other times I just see the publishing status with a loading icon, but nothing ever changes. I usually hit cancel after 20 minutes of waiting.
meysun
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Is this issue happening only when you add custom visual or for any visual?.

Try this out and let me know if it works are not

1. Create a report in Power BI Desktop with one visual

2.Publish to Power BI

3.Update the report in Power BI Desktop and add another visual and publish

4. Go to Power BI report and refresh the report and check if you are seeing both visuals are not.

So I deleted the report from the web app and republished and am now getting this issue

Error Message:

Publishing succeeded, but no report URL was returned.

I also tried what you said and had no issue, I further renamed my original dataset and tried to do a fresh load and it did not take. 

OK. If I understand correctly, when you are publishing a report then there is no issue.

Only when you delete just the report or rename just the dataset in the web, and then publish then it gives error. Is that correct?

Sorry let me clarify, I just had 2 scenarios.

1. I repost my original data set, it says it published but the online web app does not reflect this

2. I delete the report for my original data set and republish. The desktop app says it published successfully but the report does not show up on the web app. When I make an update it also says successful and that is overwritting a report that already exists but still no report comes up.

3. I rename my data set to something new, publishing fails with a different error every time (unexpected failure, cannot create link)

4. Tried to create a completly new dataset as suggested. No issue publishing or viewing on web app. 

I removed the data set and tried to add it back as this use to fix the problem. I was acoiding this solution since it destroys all my dashboards, but I decided to do it since I need these active by EOD. But now this wont even work and I have lost my dashboards. 

Error Message:

Publishing failed for an unknown reason.

Stack Trace:

Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.PowerBIService.PowerBIServiceException: Publishing failed for an unknown reason. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Publishing failed for an unknown reason.
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.PowerBIService.PowerBIServiceClient.WaitForImportToComplete(String authorization, String activityId, String statusUrl, CancellationToken cancellationToken, String& requestId, String& datasetId, String& reportUrl)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.PowerBIService.PowerBIServiceClient.<>c__DisplayClass12.<PublishReport>b__11(String& innerRequestId)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.PowerBIService.PowerBIServiceClient.MakeWebRequest(WebRequestFunc webRequest, String& requestId, Int32 maxTriesAllowed)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.PowerBIService.PowerBIServiceClient.PublishReport(BIPackageManager biPackageManager, String activityId, Boolean overwrite, Boolean configureGateway, PromptUserForGatewayFunc promptUserForGatewayCallback, CancellationToken cancellationToken, String& requestId, String& reportUrl, String& datasetId, Boolean& gatewayConfigured, Boolean& dataSourceNeedsCredentials)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.PowerBIService.PowerBIServiceClient.<>c__DisplayClass1.<PublishReportAsync>b__0()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

Invocation Stack Trace:

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.FeedbackErrorInfo..ctor(String message, Nullable`1 errorCode, String requestId, Exception exception)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass1.<HandleException>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at System.Threading.Tasks.AwaitTaskContinuation.RunCallback(ContextCallback callback, Object state, Task& currentTask)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Finish(Boolean bUserDelegateExecuted)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.TrySetException(Object exceptionObject)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder`1.SetException(Exception exception)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.Ux.FloatingDialog.FloatingDialog.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner, Nullable`1 showTimeout)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.FloatingDialog.KoPublishDialog.ShowDialogAndPublish()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.FloatingDialog.KoPublishDialog.TryShowDialogAndPublish(Report report, IWin32Window ownerWindow, WindowsHost windowsHost, IWindowService shellService, BIPackageManager biPackageManager, IPowerBIServiceClient powerBIServiceClient, Boolean configureGateway, TelemetryUserActionId entryPoint, LocalizedString title)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.MainWindow.<>c__DisplayClass27.<<PublishReport>b__26>d__29.MoveNext()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.TrySetResult(TResult result)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder`1.SetResult(TResult result)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.MainWindow.<IsSaveChangesPromptNeeded>d__4c.MoveNext()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.TrySetResult(TResult result)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder`1.SetResult(TResult result)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.CefSharpFramework.CefWebBrowser.<InvokeScriptAsync>d__1`1.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClassb.<Main>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

BackendUrl
https://wabi-us-east2-redirect.analysis.windows.net/

ActivityId
b81de3a1-7f68-42ad-8bf5-061605f733c9

RequestId
7d2b168f-4aac-4c70-8759-1bd3df8c0bba

Once published to the web, the report name and dataset name should be the same. I think the issue here is you are renaming just one or deleting just one and then republishing it.

If you are renaming it on the web, rename both the report and dataset.

If you are deleting it on the web, then delete both the report and dataset.

In those cases, subsequent republishing from Desktop should work.

I only got into renaming because of this issue. I have tried to rename on the desktop and publish as a new dataset and report on the web app just to see if it is working and it failed. I have also tried to delete the report and dataset from the web now and tried to republish and still nothing. This issue has been persistent well before any name change occured. 

at this point I am about to give up on Power BI, I have had to recreate the same dashboards 6 times now (will be 7 soon), potentially recreate my scheme and reports, and have pushed back projects over a month pending a fix for these issues. 

I even attempted to purchase a Pro ticket for 3 days and the site kepy giving me an error. Pro is now letting me purchase but I am not confident there is a fix and can not justify spending upwards of $2000 to fix issues before even being able to test out the software. 

edit: in an effort to remedy the issue, I disabled all queries and was planning on adding them back one by one and publishing after each addition. I made my first query and published under all new names. Interestingly enough I found that it did not fail and when I went to the web app found a previous attempt at this report I was originally attempting to publish appeared. I hit refresh and it went away, but I am now continuing to add back table by table (enable data load) and testing tof ind the issue. 

Edit 2: So I continued doing this and ran into the same issue, what I did find however was that the aggregated and expanded columns on one of my tables was causing an issue. By replacing amy filter functions with calcualte instead and disposing of all aggregate/expand/merge queries I was finally able to get it to load back up properly while decreasing the file size significantly. Thank you for the assistance Meysun

edit 3: and its down again. Failed to refresh after publish

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.