Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

James1965
Helper I
Helper I

OneDrive does not update data

I try to use OneDrive together with dashboard, but updaqting of the data doeas not work. Could you figur out what is the problem?

regrads

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @James1965,

Based on my test, We can connect to multiple .CSV files exist in OneDrive for Business in Desktop, we need to creat each web query to connect to separate .CSV file. After publish the report to service, we can go to the dataset settings enter credential for data source and set schedule refresh.

q2.PNG

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
SandraSidorova

I use onedrive personal (.xlsm file).  

My data is changed by a macro (Locally). Sent to the cloud onedrive person each hourondr.jpgpbi.jpgpbi2.jpg

Hi @James1965,

Do you use OneDrive or OneDrive for Business? Only the latter supports auto-refresh.

In addition, assuming you use Excel files, please confirm that your Excel files on OneDrive for Business are explicitly refreshed by you. Power BI can only pull the data from an already refreshed workbook, it will not refresh the Excel files themselves.

Hi, Could you tell me whether we need to set up a scheduled refresh for Power BI online to refresh data from One Drive for Business or does it happen automatically?

Hi,

Thank you. I use OneDrive for Business, but data are many csv-files in a folder. More csv-files are moved in over times.

Can you check which refresh error you get, when you select the dataset in PowerBI.com --> Datasets?

Do you use the import from folder in your query to append the CSV files into a single table?

I think that this functionality isn't supported by the service - only a direct download of CSV/Excel files from OneDrive for Business.

Hi,

If I "Update the dataset now", I get the wrong massage,

You data gateway (Power BI – personal) is offline or could not reached.

The fact is that I have removed personal gatwway and installed a interprise gateway. To my knowlege however, it would not use gateway to connect dataset on OneDrive.

Regarding download of CSV/Excel files from OneDrive, I don't know how to direct download CSV-files. My query is,

Imported CSV = Csv.Document(#"Combined Binaries",[Delimiter=",", Columns=6, Encoding=1252,

I summarise the questions,

1. Does Power BI support import of multiple CSV-files (in a folder) on OneDrivefor Business, with automatical data refresh?
  2. If the answer to above question is yes, then in which way the files should be imported? Or what is the problem for me?
  3. If the answer to above question is no, then which types of file are supported? A singel CSV-file? Access database file? or others on OneDrivefor Business?

Thanks!

Hi @James1965,

Based on my test, We can connect to multiple .CSV files exist in OneDrive for Business in Desktop, we need to creat each web query to connect to separate .CSV file. After publish the report to service, we can go to the dataset settings enter credential for data source and set schedule refresh.

q2.PNG

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-qiuyu-msft wrote:

@v-qiuyu-msft, just to be clear, are you saying it is not possible to have a OneDrive for Business "watch folder" that would be the source of a Power BI file, so that new CSVs uploaded to that folder would be automatically picked up by the file's preset query?

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
------------------------------------------------
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.