Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

OneDrive connection - still unclear to me...

Hi all, I am (ultimately) trying to set up a dataflow using OneDrive for Business files or OneDrive for Business folder.

1. ...So for OneDrive folders, I did follow the hints and create the connection in Desktop using Sharepoint Folder, before copying the query from the advanced editor in the dataflow editor, it works nice.

2. But to connect to one file only, it paradoxally becomes more tricky:

a) I can use step 1. and then filter the right file from the right folder, but I don't find this solution neither very elegant nor efficient.

b) I've tried to create in desktop a connection using the 'web' connection and as URL the file path from the excel file (without the ?web=1 sting at the end), but it won't work ("Acess to the resource is forbidden", even once properly signed in)...

c) I've tried online. as only online is there in the dataset creation an option to connect to OneDrive files... but the query cannot be edited and the only option is then to connect to the whole file (and mostly, no possibility to advance-edit the query to copy it in the dataflow editor...

Conclusion: is 2.a) really my only option? That sounds a bit strange, as you'd think OneDrive connection is among the most demanded connection, no?

4 REPLIES 4
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous so you want to link to direct file on onedrive, correct? And you saying you couldn't achieve this in Power BI desktop and ultimately you want to use that file in dataflow, is this correct understanding about the your question?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @parry2k , thx for your reply. More precisely, I want to create a dataflow connecting to data store in csv or excel files in OneDrive for Business folders. I managed to connect to Folders, but I would want to find a way to connect to a file directly, without first connecting the whole folder.

Ben

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Guys, so are we still convince that the only solution is to first grab the whole folder and then filter by file name as explained above in my initial post (solution "2.a")?? Thx for your inputs!

Anonymous
Not applicable

no response, hum, maybe my post wasn't so clear. Let me simplify?

How to you connect to an excel file on a sharepoint library with Dataflow?

Thx!

Ben

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.