Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ovetteabejuela
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

OneDrive Source | Automatic Refresh Question

Hi,

I stored my data on someone else's OneDrive but when I checked Refresh History I get nothing. Am I suppose to see the refresh history for the Hourly updates given that the files are in OneDrive.

Or does this only work if I store data on my OneDrive not somebody elses?

OneDrive Auto Refresh.PNG

8 REPLIES 8
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi ovetteabejuela,

Has the file in onedrive been updated? If the file is not updated in onedrive, power bi will not refresh the content automatically.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Hi Jimmy,

It was updated and from what I read it's supposed to update around after an hour, but a day had passed but nothing happened when I check the Refresh History there was no entry in there that suggest that an automatic upadted had happened. I also check the Datasource Credentials but why is it though that everytime I check the Datasource Credential it's always showing as Anonymous whereas I did Signin via OAuth2.

Did you set the schedule refreshes? That needs to be set still for every hour for the hourly refreshes. At least, that is how I have for all my Excel Online, SharePoint sources which then refreshes every hour.

From what I understand there is no need to set (manually set refreshes) if the file (Excel file) is in Sharepoint/OneDrive it should update around an hour after the last saved timestamp.

I always have the option though to manually set, but it does say automatic so it's kind of redundant if I manually set the time refreshes. 

Reference: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-data#local-files-and-files-on-onedrive-or-sharepoi...

I checked for one of the WorkSpace that I have sourced straight from OneDrive and I believe the automatic refresh like I mentioned applies only for pbix files stored in OneDrive. Below are screenshots for one report with only a SQL datasource which does not have a refresh schedule set even yet the OneDrive schedule ran on its own: 

One Drive refresh running on its on for a report purely sourced from SQLOne Drive refresh running on its on for a report purely sourced from SQLNo schedule refresh on this report is setNo schedule refresh on this report is set

Thanks for this, actually both PBIX file and the source files(Excel) are located on OneDrive. Hmmmmm....

Based on the reports that I have created containing only an Excel Online or SharePoint List as the source, I have had to set the scheduled refresh for every hour which caps at 8 times a day if you are a PRO user. The screenshot I shared earlier was from the Workspace that I created for all DEV work for the team and during the migration from another Workspace moved all reports to the DEV-Workspace's respective One-Drive Folder which gets created when one creates a WorkSpace in PBI. These OneDrive refreshes according to my use and knowledge only refresh the PBIX file if they are located in the Workspace's OneDrive. It 

Hmm I thought the automatic refresh was for files (PBIX files stored in OneDrive or SharePoint) and not for datasets like Excel or SharePoint list. Will have to read on this and the article you provided to reconfirm.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.