Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pradeept
Resolver I
Resolver I

One vs Rest

Hi Community,

I have employee feedback data. 

Dataset: EmpID, DeptID, Rating,..
There are 8 departments.
Ratings (1,2,......,10)

Scenario:  I want to create bar charts to compare the Average Rating of one department employees vs rest of the department employees. How to achieve this?

Example: 

In 1st bar chart,  average rating of D1 employees  vs average rating of D2,D3,D4,D5,D6,D7,D8 employees together.
In 2nd bar chart,  average rating of D2 employees vs average rating of D1,D3,D4,D5,D6,D7,D8 employees together.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pradeept ,

Please follow these steps:

1. Create a table for X-axis by entering data like this:
x-axis table.jpg

2. Just need one measure:

Expected output = 
var _curr=CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Rating]),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Department]))
var _rest=CALCULATE(AVERAGE('Table'[Rating]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Department]<>MAX('Table'[Department])))

return IF(MAX('X-axis'[Type])="Rest",_rest,IF(MAX('Table'[Department]) =MAX('X-axis'[Type]),_curr))

The final output is shown below:

dynaimc output.gif

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pradeept ,

Please try this:

Expected output = 
 var _curr= CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Rating]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Department]=MAX('X-axis'[Type])))  
 var _notSele=CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[Department]),ALL('Table'))-DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[Department])
 var _rest=CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Rating]),FILTER('Table',[Department] in ALLSELECTED('X-axis'[Type])))
return IF(MAX('X-axis'[Type])="Rest",DIVIDE(CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Rating]),ALL('Table'))-_rest,_notSele),IF(MAX('X-axis'[Type]) in ALLSELECTED('Table'[Department]),_curr))

output.jpg

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pradeept ,

Please follow these steps:

1. Create a table for X-axis by entering data like this:
x-axis table.jpg

2. Just need one measure:

Expected output = 
var _curr=CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Rating]),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Department]))
var _rest=CALCULATE(AVERAGE('Table'[Rating]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Department]<>MAX('Table'[Department])))

return IF(MAX('X-axis'[Type])="Rest",_rest,IF(MAX('Table'[Department]) =MAX('X-axis'[Type]),_curr))

The final output is shown below:

dynaimc output.gif

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

@v-eqin-msft  this is the solution I am looking for. Thank you so much for your time.👏👏

I tweaked the measure little bit, for the other filters interactivity and working fine. Now I have to create 8 charts and apply the department as visual level filter. 

pradeept
Resolver I
Resolver I

@amitchandak Thanks for quick response.

the solution you provided will work, if we are we showing all the departments in one chart. 

You can see the below expected output (in excel). Any thoughts to achieve this? 
In PowerBI,  I tried with  2 charts. I created 2 measures for each chart, in total  4 measures. If I go with this approach, I need to create 16 (8 X 2 ) measures in total. After doing this also,  I am not able to showcase the Labels on X-axis.

(Later, I am looking for the dynamic solution which we can reduce the number of measures in count, from 16 to 4-6)

One Vs Rest.png

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@pradeept , Try two measures like these

Current  = average(Table[Rating])

Others = calculate(average(Table[Rating]) , filter(all(Table), table[DeptID] <> max(Table[DeptID])))

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.