Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

garricksullivan
Regular Visitor

One visual only partially affects another visual

Hi -
I couldn't find an answer to my question on other threads, so I'm starting my own.
I have a treemap visual that highlights the largest variances we see in certain cost centers, and the visual only partially affects a percent of total variance that I positioned below it. If I click one of the treemap items, it will focus to exactly the proportion it should be in percent total variance visual, but if I click a different cost center, it will revert to comparing the variance to itself, thus showing 100%. Does anyone have any idea of what may be the issue? All of the data in the queries look to be exactly the same, and I took steps to ensure so.

This is an example of the two visuals that I'm using. The top is the treemap, and the bottom is the 100% stacked bar charts. The first pic is what it looks like when nothing is selected.

garricksullivan_0-1572363765028.png

This pic is what it looks like when one of the cost centers is selected in the treemap, and it filers the bar chart appropriately (the blue box in "Largest YTD Variances" is selected). 

garricksullivan_1-1572363816178.png

This pic is where things fall apart. For some reason if I click any of the other options on the treemap, the stacked bar chart doesn't reflect that cost center's percent as a whole (the large dark grey box in "Largest YTD Variances" is selected). 

garricksullivan_0-1572364243455.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

6 REPLIES 6
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @garricksullivan ,

For the original tables of the visuals above, you may change the Cross filter direction of relationships among these tables from Single to Both , which will take these tables treated as a single table.

You can learn more about relationship :https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-create-and-manage-relationships.

Then when you display and make selections for some fields of one table in visuals, the other linked tables' fields will return corresponding result in visuals .

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your reply! 

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to help the issue that I'm experiencing. 

It's interesting and a bit confounding that two of the cost centers in the treemap work one way, and the rest don't. I've been looking at my data and I can't seem to find any difference in the fields that would make one center work over another. 

hi garricksullivan,

think i know the problem here (i hope), when you select your tree map hover over the charts you want to be changed and you will see the symbols as shown below. the 2nd from the right (highlight) tend to be the default, you need to select the icon to the right, i.e. filter. 

Untitled.png

this should do the trick

Dave

Hi kinseld, 

The options that you posted don't appear when I select the treemap and then hover over the other graph. I tried clicking through the options that were there, but they didn't have any effects (the only options were the filter icon which only lists what filters are affecting the visual, and the expend icon which give you a full page view of the graph)

hi sorry missed a step, please first select 'format' from the top of the page, then 'edit interactions, and then follow the instructions from earlier. dave

Hi Dave - thanks for the clarification! 

It looks as though I want to have highlight selected, as I think it's interesting to see the effect each section of the treemap has on the percent variance chart as a whole. Applying the filter icon as you noted makes everything come up as a 100% bar. 

So now that makes me think that maybe there is something different about how the data is set up, though I'm not sure what that would be since everything looks the same in the data tables...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.