Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mforest
Frequent Visitor

One slicer from multiple fields

Hello! 

I am having issues with putting multiple fields into one slicer. I am working with what is essentially appointment survey data (see table example below). In the survey, we have a few questions that are "select all that apply." The data is then separated into what is essentially 0/1 columns. I'd like to create a slicer that would include Activity 1, Activity 2, Activity 3, etc. so that I can get count of who and how many people participated in each activity.

I have looked at Hierarchy Slicers (which doesn't really work since there isn't a hierarchy to the activities - but i feel like this might be a solution for me?) and have tried unpivoting, but since I have several columns that were transformed into 0/1 due to a select all the apply option, that doesnt seem to really work either. 

Open to trying anything! Thanks!

Visit #Person IDACTIVITY 1 COMPLETEDACTIVITY 2 COMPLETEDACTVITIY 3 COMPLETED
Visit 1Person 1Activity 1Activity 2 
Visit 2Person 1   Activity 3
Visit 1Person 2 Activity 2Activity 3
Visit 1Person 3Activity 1  
Visit 2Person 3 Activity 2 
Visit 1Person 4Activity 1 Activity 3

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mforest 

Just like lbendlin and replied before, we can solve this problem by Unpivot and Measure.

Firstly we need to use unpivot to change our data model.

Two ways:

1.    Unpivot column in Power Query Editor:

Open Power Query Editor —— Select 3 Columns as below —— Use Unpivot Columns in Transform Tab —— Delete Attribute Column.

1.png

Result

2.png

2.    Use DAX

Create New table in Modeling Tab:

3.png

Unpivot By DAX = UNION(
            SELECTCOLUMNS('Table',"visit#",'Table'[Visit#],"PersonalID#",'Table'[Person ID],"Activity#",'Table'[ACTIVITY 1 COMPLETED]),
            SELECTCOLUMNS('Table',"visit#",'Table'[Visit#],"PersonalID#",'Table'[Person ID],"Activity#",'Table'[ACTIVITY 2 COMPLETED]),
            SELECTCOLUMNS('Table',"visit#",'Table'[Visit#],"PersonalID#",'Table'[Person ID],"Activity#",'Table'[ACTVITIY 3 COMPLETED]))

Result:

4.png

Then we need a Slicer to filter Activity

Create a new table like above and use it to build a Slicer.

Slicer = DISTINCT('Unpivot in PowerQueryEditor'[Value])

Result:

5.png

Then we create two measure. Add Measure1 into Table(Unpivot in PowerQueryEditor) and use Measure2 to create a Card. We can see the number of people in Card.

Measure1:

Measure1 =

VAR _a = VALUES(Slicer[Value])

return

CALCULATE(MAX('Unpivot in PowerQueryEditor'[Person ID]),FILTER('Unpivot in PowerQueryEditor','Unpivot in PowerQueryEditor'[Value] in _a))

Measure2:

Measure 2 =

return

CALCULATE(COUNT('Unpivot in PowerQueryEditor'[Person ID]),FILTER('Unpivot in PowerQueryEditor','Unpivot in PowerQueryEditor'[Value] in _a))

All is done , lets select Activity1 to have a test.

Result:

6.png

You can download the pbix file form this link:

https://qiuyunus-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/tongzhou_qiuyunus_onmicrosoft_com/EXb0fbEc0WVDt0jt...

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mforest
Frequent Visitor

Thank you all! It looks like unpivot is the way to go. My dataset has multiple "select all that apply" questions that transformed to 0/1, so I was concerned how the unpivot would treat my other 0/1 columns (and if there was a better way). Since y'all are confident that unpivot is the way to go, I simplified my table and I think I figured out how I can make it work. I'm more comfortable working with wide data than long, so the unpivot is just something I need to get used to, and figure out how to use it. 

Thank you all for your replies! Much appreciated!

v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mforest 

Just like lbendlin and replied before, we can solve this problem by Unpivot and Measure.

Firstly we need to use unpivot to change our data model.

Two ways:

1.    Unpivot column in Power Query Editor:

Open Power Query Editor —— Select 3 Columns as below —— Use Unpivot Columns in Transform Tab —— Delete Attribute Column.

1.png

Result

2.png

2.    Use DAX

Create New table in Modeling Tab:

3.png

Unpivot By DAX = UNION(
            SELECTCOLUMNS('Table',"visit#",'Table'[Visit#],"PersonalID#",'Table'[Person ID],"Activity#",'Table'[ACTIVITY 1 COMPLETED]),
            SELECTCOLUMNS('Table',"visit#",'Table'[Visit#],"PersonalID#",'Table'[Person ID],"Activity#",'Table'[ACTIVITY 2 COMPLETED]),
            SELECTCOLUMNS('Table',"visit#",'Table'[Visit#],"PersonalID#",'Table'[Person ID],"Activity#",'Table'[ACTVITIY 3 COMPLETED]))

Result:

4.png

Then we need a Slicer to filter Activity

Create a new table like above and use it to build a Slicer.

Slicer = DISTINCT('Unpivot in PowerQueryEditor'[Value])

Result:

5.png

Then we create two measure. Add Measure1 into Table(Unpivot in PowerQueryEditor) and use Measure2 to create a Card. We can see the number of people in Card.

Measure1:

Measure1 =

return

CALCULATE(MAX('Unpivot in PowerQueryEditor'[Person ID]),FILTER('Unpivot in PowerQueryEditor','Unpivot in PowerQueryEditor'[Value] in _a))

Measure2:

Measure 2 =

return

CALCULATE(COUNT('Unpivot in PowerQueryEditor'[Person ID]),FILTER('Unpivot in PowerQueryEditor','Unpivot in PowerQueryEditor'[Value] in _a))

All is done , lets select Activity1 to have a test.

Result:

6.png

You can download the pbix file form this link:

https://qiuyunus-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/tongzhou_qiuyunus_onmicrosoft_com/EXb0fbEc0WVDt0jt...

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@mforest , One way is unpivot

Second is that you create a common dimension from these three columns

ore create a new table like

Activity = distinct(union(distinct(Table[Activity1]),distinct(Table[Activity2]),distinct(Table[Activity3])))

and join with all three activity and then use userelation to activate the join

https://radacad.com/userelationship-or-role-playing-dimension-dealing-with-inactive-relationships-in...

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Yes, unpivoting is the way to go. Describe where you got stuck trying that.

You will want to end up with a table 

VISIT #  Person #  Activity #

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.