Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PHanges
Regular Visitor

One slicer for two datasets

Hi all,

I'm having what I think is a simple problem and can't seem to find a solution.  I have two Excel datasets which contain marketing lead data and built them out into a matrix in PowerBI.  Each table has an "Asset/Activity" field, and I want to create a slicer which will filter both sets of data.  When I try to build a relationship between the two tables on the aformentioned field, I get an error: "You can't create a relationship between these two columns because one of the columns must have unique values"

Any help is appreciated! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

@PHanges

You will need to create a lookup table with distinct values to join the fact tables. Then use the lookup table to populate your slicers. It is not difficult and can be completed using the built in query editor. Check this link for more information.

http://www.powerpivotpro.com/2014/03/creating-dynamic-lookup-tables-with-unique-values-using-power-q...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

@PHanges

You will need to create a lookup table with distinct values to join the fact tables. Then use the lookup table to populate your slicers. It is not difficult and can be completed using the built in query editor. Check this link for more information.

http://www.powerpivotpro.com/2014/03/creating-dynamic-lookup-tables-with-unique-values-using-power-q...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

You might also be able to create the lookup table using a calculated table and the SUMMARIZE function.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.