Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

One slicer filter for multiple column values

Hi Team, 

I have a table with below structure. All i want is a single slicer where a user enters empid / partial name of emp / CID number in the filter and the matrix table i have will filter for that employee.

Table : 

Emp IDNameCIDAmount

Naeem Blanchard

we23481

Tanvir Mcintyre

dr23437

Kwame Eaton

re12346

Eathan Myers

rt13427

Felicia Fitzpatrick

tt45662

Abbie Roach

tr56327

Alana Mcculloch

yu67522

Mohamed Carlson

hy34521

Emilio Greaves

hr46371

Eduard Orozco

ui54652

When user enters a partial name like "Eathan"  or emp ID as 91095 in the slicer then it should populate i the matrix as below

Emp IDNameCIDAmount
Eathan Myers
rt13496
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @Anonymous 

If  you can‘t use the custom visual in your report as per your company policy, as a workaround ,you can create a new field as below:

calculated column:

Emp ID/Name/CID = 'Table'[Emp ID] &"/"&'Table'[Name]&"/"&'Table'[CID]

Then drag the field to slicer and enable the 'search ' feature. (This feature is only available for 'text' type fields)

69.png

One thing to note is that you still need to manually check the option to filter the data.

Please check my sample file for more details.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @Anonymous 

If  you can‘t use the custom visual in your report as per your company policy, as a workaround ,you can create a new field as below:

calculated column:

Emp ID/Name/CID = 'Table'[Emp ID] &"/"&'Table'[Name]&"/"&'Table'[CID]

Then drag the field to slicer and enable the 'search ' feature. (This feature is only available for 'text' type fields)

69.png

One thing to note is that you still need to manually check the option to filter the data.

Please check my sample file for more details.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tahreem24  @amitchandak  Its not just the partial name. I just stated that as an example.   The user may enter employee ID  or partial/full name / CID number for the search

Tahreem24
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous  Use the Custom Visual "Text Filter" in your report. Then take the Employee name on that visual and enter partial name and hit enter so entire report will get filtered out.

Capture.PNG

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard

@Anonymous  - I tested out at my side as per the sample you have provided so you need to take three Text Filter Custom visual and put Employee name, CID, and Emp ID on each visual. Then Enter partial value in the search area of these filters then hit enter.

Capture.PNG

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tahreem24  thanks for the response. 

Sorry I cant use the Custom visual as per my company policies. I need a single filter to search the filter value in 3 columns. Any other idea?

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , You have a text search filter.  But I doubt it can match what you are looking at

https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/WA104381309?src=office&tab=Overview

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak Thaks amit, as i said, i cant use the custom visual in my report as per my company policy. Any other ideas please?

I hope my question is clear, I need a single filter to search the filter value in 3 columns. Any other idea?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.