Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SEC
Regular Visitor

One Slicer for multiple columns, with multiple items in some cells

Hello - I am trying to create a slicer that filters project data by staff name. The staff names 1) are listed in 3 different columns, and 2) there may be more than 1 name per field. 

This is part of my base table titled Projects Summary (there are many more columns with project details):

Project NameProject Lead(s)Project Member(s)Project Team Lead(s)Project TypeStart DateEnd Date
SystemsJack, CarolBeth, Charles, Tim SethType 11/1/20232/1/2023
MarketingJillGary, FrankTimType 24/5/20226//3/2022
HiringBobJillJackType 17/4/20239/1/2023

I would like to add a slicer that just shows staff names (1 time only) from across these 3 columns: 

1. Project Lead(s)
  2. Project Member(s)
  3. Project Team Lead(s)

So the slicer would look like this:

• Beth 
  • Bob
  • Carol
  • Charles
  • Frank
  • Gary
  • Jack
  • Jill
  • Seth
  • Tim

This would enable me to filter the other data in the report by staff involved in the project, regardless of role/title. 

I am new to Power BI and have tried many options without success. When I try to create a slicer with the 3 columns, they are listed in a hierarchy, which I do not want. I also don't know how to make this work with more than 1 name per cell. There is no max on the number of names that could go in a cell (i.e., no max on the # of project leads), so I don't know how I would create separate columns to support 1 name/cell.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@SEC this is a typical example to restructure your table and unpivot it. The best approach would be to unpivot the table and then split each team member's name into rows and from there it should be pretty straightforward.

Follow us on LinkedIn and YouTube.gif to our YouTube channel

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@SEC unpivoting the data is the right way to go, maybe you need to revisit your other visuals and update those. Making a duplicate copy of the table is not recommended because if visuals on a page are done using both the table and cross-filtering between these visuals might not be possible.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

SEC
Regular Visitor

That makes sense. Thanks again for your help!

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@SEC BTW here is teh Power Query code that can take care of it, and here is how the slicer will look like

parry2k_0-1660928467267.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("TY7BCsIwEER/JeQciEmr4rVCFcFTews9RAk2JGklySV/7y4l6mnfDOxjlKJDSdmERBm96adj5Kzj6iF1Js+QZh29SYyMNhBoB2jhjOVtiAAQXHC5kw2grDgxRe86OpPt8kKv9Si86FgY6aNeHBpsqB4J0PI9PiMeOG82RtHVxs3SrY+fC6f+zzjyts44fWdMHw==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Project Name" = _t, #"Project Lead(s)" = _t, #"Project Member(s)" = _t, #"Project Team Lead(s)" = _t, #"Project Type" = _t, #"Start Date" = _t, #"End Date" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Project Name", type text}, {"Project Lead(s)", type text}, {"Project Member(s)", type text}, {"Project Team Lead(s)", type text}, {"Project Type", type text}, {"Start Date", type date}, {"End Date", type text}}),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {"Project Name", "Project Type", "Start Date", "End Date"}, "Team Type", "Team Member"),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.ExpandListColumn(Table.TransformColumns(#"Unpivoted Columns", {{"Team Member", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.Csv), let itemType = (type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true] in type {itemType}}}), "Team Member"),
    #"Trimmed Text" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Team Member", Text.Trim, type text}})
in
    #"Trimmed Text"

Transform Data -> start a blank query -> click advanced editor and add above code, you can tweak it as you see fit.

SEC
Regular Visitor

@parry2k Thank you so much!!! This worked for me. The only issue I ran into is that once I transformed the data to make this work for the slicer, the other visuals I already had in my report no longer worked.

This may be a silly question (I'm a beginner), but would it be possible to have 2 sets of the same data in a report - 1 dataset that is transformed to meet this specific slicer need, and 1 dataset with the same data that is not transformed this way that I can use to create other report elements?

Or perhaps another solution?

Thanks!

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@SEC this is a typical example to restructure your table and unpivot it. The best approach would be to unpivot the table and then split each team member's name into rows and from there it should be pretty straightforward.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.