Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

One Slicer depending on the slicer selection

Hi Folks,

As usually I need your wisdom, experience and help!

I post a coulpe of pictures in order to help to understand where I'm stuck at.

The Slicer selector (1) is a new table I have created just with values "Nivel1, Nivel2, ..., Nivel5".

The Slicer2 is a column from the item category table.

I need a "Slicer selector"(1). The function of this slicer is to be selected by the user between 5 options "Nivel1, Nivel2,... Nivel5" and when user selects the option, the other Slicer (2) has to change depending on the selection of Slicer1, as it figures on the pictures I posted.

I know the "trick" " Measure 1 = Switch( true(); Values( ...))" but I don't know how to set it up, because I don't have any measure.

Thank you and sorry for my english!

Merry Christmas to everyone.

3.png.jpg5.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

Looking at your data believe that the best option is to unpivot your table and the use the column variable as you slicer for level 1 to level 5,that way since the slicer are from the same table no need to have additional tables.

Regards,
MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous can you share how your tables are connected. Is there relationship between these tables? 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your answer.

There is no connection between these tables. 

This is the Slicer1 Table:

Slicer1.png

This is the table I need to filter between different columns (Nivel1, Nivel2,...)

Niveles.png

What I need to do is depending on the selection in the first Slicer (Nivel3, for example), the other Slicer has to change to Nivel3 selection/column.

todo.png

Apreciate your help, thank you.

Hi @Anonymous,

Looking at your data believe that the best option is to unpivot your table and the use the column variable as you slicer for level 1 to level 5,that way since the slicer are from the same table no need to have additional tables.

Regards,
MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Anonymous
Not applicable

First of all, thank you for taking your time answering and trying to help 🙂

Yes, that's my "Plan B".

I need this because I want user to select Nivel1...Nivel5 from the main canvas, without selecting any columns. Just click, click, click.

@Anonymous,

Don't understand what you mean by "want the user to select... Without choosing any column".

Making this type of treatment to your data will make it easier to slice and dice and format your visuals, when having information in several columns that you need to have the slicers being interchangeable believe the best option is to unpivot that will decrease the need for further calculations or measures.

Regards,
MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, I don't understand you when you say "unpivot the table". English is not my main language and I'm not a pro powerquery user. Could you give me an accurate example please? I'd appreciate it.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you @MFelix 

@Anonymous 

You may take a look at the following posts.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@Anonymous solution proposed by @MFelix is the way to go, it is more scalable and best way to deal with such a scenario.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.