Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

On calculated field, using the date hierarchy causes an error.

Hi, everyone. 

I created a date field that pulls the date from one field if populated, otherwise it pulls the date from another field. However, when I try and use the calculated date field in a visualization, I can't use the Date Hierarchy. I can use the continuous dates, however. So for example if I have 100 records that are all in the same quarter, I want to be able to use the hierarchy to show me 4 columns. However, I can only show the date detail level, so there are 100 columns of data (one for each date). 

The two rows I am basing my calculated date on work correctly in the hierarchy. However, when I bring in the calculated field, I get the following error:

Error Message:

The query referenced column 'LocalDateTable_faa99c2d-0e2e-4475-88d0-ab33c8e94d60'[Day] which depends on another column, relationship or measure that is not in a valid state.

Stack Trace:

Invocation Stack Trace:

Activity ID
7ed3c774-d551-1cd4-2af2-b50e29a729c8

Time
Mon May 23 2016 15:37:33 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Version
2.34.4372.322 (PBIDesktop)

Any ideas what might be going on here? All three columns are formatted as dates and have the same mm/dd/yyyy display formatting.

Thanks,

Scott

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It is funny - some observations ... was able to show the the hierarchy for calucated date after doig the following 2 actions. 

a) Set the calculated date field to  Date/Time

b) saved the pbix file.

then used the calcualted field in a visual.... 

I'm on Version: 2.34.4372.322 64-bit (April, 2016)

Hierarchy showing up for Date3Hierarchy showing up for Date3Logic for the Calculated Date FieldLogic for the Calculated Date Field

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
sornavoor
Resolver I
Resolver I

Wondering if you  tried forceing the calucated column's to "General Date" using the FORMAT dax  expression? 

Never mind, Just tried it -  not working with FORMAT either

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for trying, @sornavoor! It almost feels like it is getting caught in some type of circular reference, though not sure why, nor if that makes sense. But when the formatting matches and types match, I can't guess what would make it fail!

It is funny - some observations ... was able to show the the hierarchy for calucated date after doig the following 2 actions. 

a) Set the calculated date field to  Date/Time

b) saved the pbix file.

then used the calcualted field in a visual.... 

I'm on Version: 2.34.4372.322 64-bit (April, 2016)

Hierarchy showing up for Date3Hierarchy showing up for Date3Logic for the Calculated Date FieldLogic for the Calculated Date Field

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, @sornavoor! Oddly, I started by changing the format, but adding the calculated date to a new visual did nothing. And then when I added in the format function around my if statement, I got an error. It was not until I deleted the format function and forced a recalculation that the visual started showing the proper date hierarchy! Strange, but thanks so much for your help!

Scott

Yes, this is definitely a bug.

If this happens, you have to toggle the formst back and forth.

I toggled back to date, and then back to date/time for my field, and that caused the hierarchy to show up.

Would be great if the team could fix that one.  Took me a whliei to find the answer and then mess around a bit before i was able to work around it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.