Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dali748
Helper II
Helper II

On Premises Gateway - Failed to Stop/Start Gateway Service?

For some reason this "On Premises Gateway" is really buggy for me, some days it works fine and other days I get this error that it can't "stop/start gateway service".  I checked the "PBIEgwService" service and it's started and running. 

What else could be causing this issue?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ok, was finally able to resolve this issue; it was due to my account not having "admin" rights.  Once my support team made my account an "admin" the Gateway software opens up properly each time.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Dali748
Helper II
Helper II

EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Initialize EnterpriseGatewayMainViewModel
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : GetConfiguratorStateAsync
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Value SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.1\Client is not defined in registry.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Value SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.1\Client is not defined in registry.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Value SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.2\Client is not defined in registry.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Value SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.2\Client is not defined in registry.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Value SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.0\Client is not defined in registry.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Value SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.0\Client is not defined in registry.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Value SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319 is not defined in registry.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Value SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319 is not defined in registry.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Exception thrown during GetConfiguration: 'Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayClient.GatewayConfigurationClientException: Error retrieving gateway configuration. ---> System.ServiceModel.EndpointNotFoundException: There was no endpoint listening at net.pipe://localhost/powerbi/gatewayconfiguration/service that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details. ---> System.IO.PipeException: The pipe endpoint 'net.pipe://localhost/powerbi/gatewayconfiguration/service' could not be found on your local machine. 
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Server stack trace: 
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.PipeConnectionInitiator.GetPipeName(Uri uri, IPipeTransportFactorySettings transportFactorySettings)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.NamedPipeConnectionPoolRegistry.NamedPipeConnectionPool.GetPoolKey(EndpointAddress address, Uri via)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationPool`2.TakeConnection(EndpointAddress address, Uri via, TimeSpan timeout, TKey& key)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ConnectionPoolHelper.EstablishConnection(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ClientFramingDuplexSessionChannel.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.Open(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.Open(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.CallOpenOnce.System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.ICallOnce.Call(ServiceChannel channel, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.CallOnceManager.CallOnce(TimeSpan timeout, CallOnceManager cascade)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.EnsureOpened(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]: 
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.ConfigurationContracts.IGatewayConfigurationService.GetConfiguration()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayClient.GatewayConfigurationClient.GetConfiguration()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayClient.GatewayConfigurationClient.GetConfiguration()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayUiCommon.ConfiguratorInitializationContextFactory.<GetConfiguratorStateAsync>d__2.MoveNext()'
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Exception thrown during GetConfiguration: 'Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayClient.GatewayConfigurationClientException: Error retrieving gateway configuration. ---> System.ServiceModel.EndpointNotFoundException: There was no endpoint listening at net.pipe://localhost/powerbi/gatewayconfiguration/service that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details. ---> System.IO.PipeException: The pipe endpoint 'net.pipe://localhost/powerbi/gatewayconfiguration/service' could not be found on your local machine. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dali748 is this issue resloved,if yes can you help me out.

@Anonymous Yes, I was able to resolve this issue; please see my previous post.  In my situation, I just needed to get admin rights on my computer and then when I installed the software as an admin it worked properly for me.

GatewayProperties.txt:

{
  "Timestamp": "2019-11-06T15:29:31",
  "DisplayableId": null,
  "TenantId": null,
  "UniqueId": null,
  "GatewayName": null,
  "Keyword": null,
  "Metadata": null,
  "GatewayVersion": null,
  "GatewayObjectId": null,
  "RelayEndpoint": null,
  "BackendUri": null
}

The above is what I see when I look at the log files but I have no idea what any of this means.

Thank you!

I'm even trying to unistall the "On-Premises Gateway" software as an administrator and it doesn't let me, I keep on getting a "The on-premises data gateway uninstallation has failed" message.  This software is very frustrating to work with.

I was finally able to uninstall the software using "CCleaner" then I installed the software again with no issues and everything seem to work fine.  I then close the program and then reopen it, and again I get the same "failed to stop/start gateway"; what's wrong with this software?  Why is it so unstable?

Looks like someone had a similar problem (same exception thrown) here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Gateway-Network-Connectivity-Problem/idi-p/205091

Looks as if the recommended steps were to uninstall their old gateway and install the latest, but also checking to ensure all remnants were deleted prior to re-installing.  Maybe try to uninstall again, verify that the folders mentioned are wiped completely and re-install again?  If you haven't already, be sure to download the latest gateway software from here before installing: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/gateway/

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! 

I tried what the post said but it still doesn't work for me.  It seems to only load properly when I first install the software, then when I close and try to open it up again I get the same error.  I don't understand how it successfully installs but when I try to open it up again it fails.

Hi,

I talked to Microsoft support and they it can be one of the following issues.

1. My current account isn't admin but when I installed the Gateway software I installed as a different user who is an admin, so maybe when I try to open up the Gateway with my non-admin account I get this issue.  On that note, does anyone know the file location of the *.exe file for the Gateway this way I can try opening it as my admin user to see if it works?

2. They believe that port # 443 is being blocked not allowing the Gateway software to open up properly.  Does anyone know of a method that I can check to see if my "outgoing" port # 443 is closed?  I thought this would only matter if it was an "inbound" connection to my computer on port # 443 because isn't port # 443 usually open on all computers or else I wouldn't be able to view any "https://" websites; right?

Thank you!

Ok, was finally able to resolve this issue; it was due to my account not having "admin" rights.  Once my support team made my account an "admin" the Gateway software opens up properly each time.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors