Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CA
Frequent Visitor

Old Table (or fix new one?)

I had this same problem ~6 weeks ago:

"I have a Doughnut Visual that counts different tickets and their "Status", and a Table Visual that will list the ticket summaries and provide a hyperlink. When I click the Doughnut for say "Open" tickets, the Table will show/filter all Open tickets and the respective hyperlinks. When I click a hyperlink, the table will highlight that specific row and the table resets to showing all tickets instead of just the "Open" ones. If a User wants to click multiple hyperlinks for their desired Status, they'll need to click the Doughnut, click one link in the table, and go back and forth repeatedly. Is this expected functionality or is there some setting I'm missing? I tried ctrl-clicking the hyperlinks but it still causes the Table to unfilter itself."

I avoided the problem by using the old Table. Now that the old Table is gone and the new Table is here I'm stuck with the changed behaviour that is clunky for Users. Is there any way to prevent the new Table from "resetting" itself whenever I click a single line?

Here's the original thread: http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/I-d-like-clarification-on-some-expected-functionalities-thre...

8 REPLIES 8
Sappher

I'm battling with this issue aswell. Maybe Power BI is not meant for this, but for me it would greatly enchance the usage scenarios of Power BI if this was supported 🙂

Quick explanation:

I have a table of sell orders, a table of products of sell orders, and then some visuals that update based on the selected product row. If I click the sell order row, the table with products now updates, as it should, to show the product rows of the sell order. Now, if I would like to view advanced information of the product, by clicking it, Power BI resets my previous selection from the sell orders table, which also resets the products table to view all product rows, as opposed to only the product rows related to the sell order I wanted to view. Now I do see the advanced visuals of the product I just selected, but if I want to see info of others products from the same order, I need to select the sell order again from the first table, and then click another product row. It gets a little tedius when there are hundreds of sell orders to choose from.

Sappher

I'm battling with this issue aswell. Maybe Power BI is not meant for this, but for me it would greatly enchance the usage scenarios of Power BI if this was supported 🙂

Quick explanation:

I have a table of sell orders, a table of products of sell orders, and then some visuals that update based on the selected product row. If I click the sell order row, the table with products now updates, as it should, to show the product rows of the sell order. Now, if I would like to view advanced information of the product, by clicking it, Power BI resets my previous selection from the sell orders table, which also resets the products table to view all product rows, as opposed to only the product rows related to the sell order I wanted to view. Now I do see the advanced visuals of the product I just selected, but if I want to see info of others products from the same order, I need to select the sell order again from the first table, and then click another product row. It gets a little tedius when there are hundreds of sell orders to choose from.

CA
Frequent Visitor

Bump.

Is no one else really having a problem with this? 😞 What's the point of having charts and tables interact with eachother if the table is going to reset once you click a single cell?

@CA

@GilbertQ is correct. You need to edit the interaction from Table visual to Doughnut chart. Change it from "Hightlight" into "Filter".

6666.PNG

Regards,

Unless there is a bug on my system, no, that is not the correct solution. I don't believe either of you are understanding the problem. I've now created a video to better show what I'm talking about. Please view it.

https://streamable.com/a7dy4

@CA

For previous version table, there's no interaction on cell, which means it will not highlight/filter other visuals when you click on any cell. Now, for new table visual, if you click on a cell, it will work like a slicer which will highlight/slice other visual. This will apply a slicer on entire visual, not under current slicing, which means it will reset the filter.

Regards,

Hi @CA

If I understand correctly, what you could do is to Edit the interactions and disable any interaction happening from another visual onto your table.

And here is a link to how the Interactions work: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-visual-interactions/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

CA
Frequent Visitor

Nope, doesn't solve the issue.

I've created an example and put it in Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d6ivffzxby82smx/exampleofchangedtablebehaviour.pbix?dl=0. I also made clarified steps so it's easier to understand what I'm trying to say.

Steps:
1. Click the "Open" piece of the Pie Chart
2. Notice how the Table Visual displays on tickets with the "Open" status
3. Click any cell in the Table Visual
4. Notice how the Table Visual highlights the cell, but also now displays the rest of the tickets, regardless of being in the "Open" status or not

Result:
Visual Table no longer respects the filter of the Pie Chart. The Visual Table instead highlights the cell's data points on the other Visuals (i.e. will show a single "Open" highlight on the Pie Chart).

Expected Result/Behaviour in Previous PBI version:
Clicking a cell in the table does not reset the filter of the Pie Chart. Only tickets in the "Open" status should display in the Table Visual and other tickets remain hidden. Data points on other visuals are not affected.

In effect, Chart Visuals were kind of acting like Slicers when it came to their interactions with Table Visuals. Now this is no longer the case.

Notes:
You can try the same with the Stacked Bar visual at the bottom of the example. Click "Mr.X" and see how the Table Visual shows the four tickets assigned to him, then click any cell in the Table Visual. The Table Visual will revert to showing all the tickets instead of just the tickets assigned to Mr. X.

Impact:
Before, the User could click a piece of the Chart Visual to show the desired tickets in the Table Visual and begin opening URLs in one go (since the Table Visual would respect the Chart Visual's filter). Now, the User will need to click a piece of the Chart Visual, click the URL, click the Chart Visual, click the URL, etc etc, until all tickets can be opened.

This is what I meant by "What's the point of having charts and tables interact with eachother if the table is going to reset once you click a single cell?"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.