Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Office 365 user presence to Power BI connection

Hi all,

Hopefully a somewhat simple question. I am in the midst of building an internal activity dashboard for my team, and was looking if there was a way to grab status (or "User Presence" as defined by Microsoft) information from Office 365 and import it into Power BI desktop to use within my dashboard (i.e. Team member A is available, Team member B is in a meeting, Team member C is out of Office). We would use this to track who has an "out of office" status on any given day. What is the best way to go about importing this piece of information for my organization?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

"What is the best way to go about importing this piece of information for my organization?" 

You described the issue very well. Importing will not help you.  Importing in Power BI is done sporadically. Presence information changes dynamically.  Your only chance at implementing this is to use an external tool that polls that data frequently, and then to have a Direct Query  (not Import!) connection from Power BI to that data source.

Get presence - Microsoft Graph v1.0 | Microsoft Docs

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

"What is the best way to go about importing this piece of information for my organization?" 

You described the issue very well. Importing will not help you.  Importing in Power BI is done sporadically. Presence information changes dynamically.  Your only chance at implementing this is to use an external tool that polls that data frequently, and then to have a Direct Query  (not Import!) connection from Power BI to that data source.

Get presence - Microsoft Graph v1.0 | Microsoft Docs

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thank you for the reply! That is a good point, I can try to look at connection tools for this functionality, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing an easier solution.

I think import mode would still work for my specific use case, as the only thing I am looking to display is "Any user who's status is out of office" which is set by the day, so as long as my data refresh is in the morning, then that data would be correct. Obviously the presence information itself would would be static, but that is ok for my use case. Regardless, if it is not possible in import mode, then I will look at connection tools to try to directQuery it instead. Do you happen to know of any resources to help me out?

I did provide a link to the Graph API. That should get you going. Let me know where you are stuck.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.