Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

prasa
Helper I
Helper I

Office 365 and Power BI desktop

My client has requirement to build a dashbard and I just came across Power BI desktop which is easy to build one. The client has Power BI with Office 365.

I am pretty new to power BI and I built the dashboard using Power BI desktop which is free as I don't have access to their office 365. Can I just send over that .pbix file and ask them to open in office 365 power bi service? Or do I need to build the dashboard in office 365? 

I am trying to figure out how they can use the .pbix file to see the dashboard? Also if they can open it in office 365 can we do the auto-refresh or scheduled refresh of data in dashboard?

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You can just send them the PBIX file and they can open it in Desktop and Publish it to their Office 365 environment.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Great! Thank you for the reply. I thought we could only publish to the power bi web application.

After publishing it to Office 365, can we do the schedule refresh for the dashboard? 

Also can we do the schedule refresh in desktop version instead of manually clicking on refresh?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.