Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JerryWhite
Regular Visitor

Office 365 Usage Analytics Data Manipulation

Hi everyone,

We're exploring the reports available in the Microsoft 365 Adoption Preview & 365 Usage Analytics using Power BI. The reports are really helpful, however we're hoping to further manipulate the data.

Our next big focus is to breakdown each user's activity - each month, on each O365 product with the different types of Activity. This will allow us to create a relationship to our different services which we can then use to filter through the data to identify areas of improvement and measure successes.

The barrier we have currently is that the Usage Analytics & Adoption Preview seems to only report total activity for a product in a given month as 'count' of activity data - we don't seem to be able to break this down further to see which users are included in such a count.

For example, we want to view how many Skype IM messages & Outlook emails were sent within X sub-department of our organisation on a month-by-month breakdown over the last 6 or 12 months - but we have not found a way to obtain this. information Is there any way to obtain further usage data from the available APIs for us to break down, or is there a way to 'go up a level' for the Adoption Preview data?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jeremy White (SCC)

7 REPLIES 7
nhamilton80

I am also looking for a solution to be able to report on historic user-specific activity.  Does anyone know if there is an API where this information could be retreived?  Maybe Microsoft Graph?

JerryWhite
Regular Visitor

Hi everyone,

We're exploring the reports available in the Microsoft 365 Adoption Preview & 365 Usage Analytics using Power BI. The reports are really helpful, however we're hoping to further manipulate the data.

Our next big focus is to breakdown each user's activity - each month, on each O365 product with the different types of Activity. This will allow us to create a relationship to our different services which we can then use to filter through the data to identify areas of improvement and measure successes.

The barrier we have currently is that the Usage Analytics & Adoption Preview seems to only report total activity for a product in a given month as 'count' of activity data - we don't seem to be able to break this down further to see which users are included in such a count.

For example, we want to view how many Skype IM messages & Outlook emails were sent within X sub-department of our organisation on a month-by-month breakdown over the last 6 or 12 months - but we have not found a way to obtain this. information Is there any way to obtain further usage data from the available APIs for us to break down, or is there a way to 'go up a level' for the Adoption Preview data?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jeremy White (SCC)

This is a relevant question. Would be great to get some inputs from Microsoft on this.

Hi Jeremy,

Have you had any luck getting your question answered?  I have a similar question -- how to see which users make up the First Time Users count in the Microsoft 365 Usage Analytics content pack.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for 'bumping' this thread, I'm afraid there seems to be no solution so far for the adoption preview pack. My only workaround has been to manually export usage statistics of each application from the O365 admin hub, format the exported data as desired and to then use this to build my own preview from scratch, which I then update by appending the main query each month to include the new data exports. This is a real manual process and can take some time - and it doesn't include any historic data, but at least it's functional.

Hopefully someone can advise soon a better solution or maybe the API team can amend the source to include the information we're after, but in the meantime the above seems to work - albeit with a lot of effort!

Kind regards,

Jeremy

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @JerryWhite ,

Thanks for posting about this.  I am currently trying to solve this exact same problem for one of my clients.  Are you aware of any kind of "product roadmap" for the O365 Usage Analytics Data Moddel.  I'd love to be able to see when Microsoft plans on releasing any updates.  Thanks!

Seth

Hi All,

having the same issue... There are pre-defined reports from Microsoft using M365 Usage Analytics, but I don't know which connectors can be used to retrieve the data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.