Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jlanglois
Regular Visitor

Office 365 Access DB Connection Issues

MS Access Version is : Office 365 2016 (16.0) 32-bit

Power BI Version is: 2.71 32-bit

Error:

Details: "Microsoft Access: The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on the local machine. The 32-bit version of the Access Database Engine 2010 Access Database Engine OLEDB provider may be required to read 

I have tried installing the 2010 Database engine 32bit. Then Power BI gives me this error:

Details: "The database you are trying to open requires a newer version of Microsoft Access"

Tried installing both the 32bit and 64bit version of 2016 Database engine. Each install tells me its the wrong version and I need the other one based on version of Office installed.

I did a quiet install of the 32bit and got the following: Details: "The database you are trying to open requires a newer version of Microsoft Access."

Any Help?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
jlanglois
Regular Visitor

Further to this...

I uninstalled Office 365 32BIT, Access Database Engine, Power BI.

Installed Office 365 64BIT and Power BI 64bit, and still had the same issues.

Tried the Office 2010 Access Database Engine, had the same version error. Uninstalled it.

This time it let me install the 2016 Access Database Engine with no issue. But I still get  "The database you are trying to open requires a newer version of Microsoft Access."

Help!

Thanks.

Hi @jlanglois ,

Can you open the file directly in Access Database?  If you can't, this may be caused by the use of the ‘Large Number’ (BigInt) field data type.  You could change the data type from Large Number to just Number. For more details, please see this article.

If there is no data type of ‘Large Number’ in your table, please check whether the vision of Power BI is 2.71.5523.821.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the reply.

I checked my Access Database version and it is set to 16.7. I have around 60 tables, 5 of which are Access, the rest are Linked tables from a SQL Server. One of the Access tables had fields set as Large Number, I changed it to Number.

Unsure if any of hte SQL tables use Large number, I checked a few but not all. 

After changing the fields to Number, and installing the 2010 Database engine, is there anything else I need to do? 

Still get the version error on Power BI.

Yes that is the version of Power BI I am using.

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you connecting MS access DB as source or ODBC ? if ODBC try to create new ODBC by selection appropriate bit. i had this issue when i created with ODBC 32 bit then created in 64bit and used. it worked for me. also i used the MS access as source to avoid the ODBC issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.