Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gaccardo
Advocate II
Advocate II

Off-by-One Error using COUNTX() and ALL()

I have an issue when using COUNTX () with the ALL() function.  The value returned is the actual number of rows plus one.  I've verified this with a bunch of tables, and I've got a solution, specifically using the ALLNOBLANKROW() function instead of ALL().  What I don't know is why this is necessary or if this is a proper pattern to use for solving counting all the rows that meet a particular condition.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

This DAX returns the correct answer, but I don't know why or if this is a correct pattern to use.

All Requirements without User Stories =
  VAR counter =
    COUNTX(
      ALLNOBLANKROW('Requirement'),
      IF(
        [Count of Related User Stories] < 1,
        BLANK()
      )
    )

RETURN
    IF (
      ISBLANK (counter),
      counter
    )

This DAX returns a number that is the correct number plus one.  Why?

All Requirements without User Stories =
  VAR counter =
    COUNTX(
      ALL('Requirement'),
      IF(
        [Count of Related User Stories] < 1,
        BLANK()
      )
    )

RETURN
    IF (
      ISBLANK (counter),
      counter
    )
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @gaccardo

You may refer to ALLNOBLANKROW Function and ALL Function. Here is the article for you. Show a sample as below:

We can get the correct count of rows with ALLNOBLANKROW Function as it returns all rows but the blank row from the parent table of a relationship.

1.png3.png

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @gaccardo

You may refer to ALLNOBLANKROW Function and ALL Function. Here is the article for you. Show a sample as below:

We can get the correct count of rows with ALLNOBLANKROW Function as it returns all rows but the blank row from the parent table of a relationship.

1.png3.png

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you @v-cherch-msft.  That was an excellent explanation and a very informative article.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.