Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

lbrewer
Frequent Visitor

October 2016 Update Issues

After updating to the October 2016 version of Power BI Desktop I get the following error for multiple pbix files: Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: "A circular dependency was detected:" If I un-install the October 2016 update and install the September 2016 update I do not get the error. Anybody else having this problem? Really would like to use some of the new features in the October 2016 update but I can't.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mmanwaring
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi,

Just to confirm i have the same problem with a number of files and had to go back to sept release.

It looks like it has something to do with a seperate table (i created this table in desktop using enter data) to bring in a sorting number which i have created a relationship too. I then use related() to bring the sort number to my main table and sort a column.

Mike

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
itretyakov
Regular Visitor

Can anyone share a september build here? I have an issue with opening my huge model in newer versions as well.

mmanwaring
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi,

Just to confirm i have the same problem with a number of files and had to go back to sept release.

It looks like it has something to do with a seperate table (i created this table in desktop using enter data) to bring in a sorting number which i have created a relationship too. I then use related() to bring the sort number to my main table and sort a column.

Mike

I also used a "related" custom sort column to another table. However, I was using the same table as a lookup table. When I deleted the custom column the error was rectified. I could then open the pbix file with the October 2016 update.

another thing to be aware of is if you have a measure the same name as a data connection, i had Orders as a data import and Orders as a measure, this will break on refresh and i couldn't rename the orders measure either!!

Installing the latest build Version: 2.40.4554.463 64-bit might resolve the issue. this is already discussed in below forum . 

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/After-upgrading-to-Oct-30-2016-I-cannot-refresh-my-model-any...

Here, in my post, I discuss similar problems and workaround.

infact i cannot rename measure at all in oct release ? going back to sept now for a while 🙂

mpecak
Regular Visitor

Hi all,

After the October update we cannot find the Group or Binning options as per video tutorial. Under right click on bar chart there are only three options: See Data, Include, Exclude.

We use tabular model as data source.

Should it work with tabular ? Can I get some details about it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am getting the exact same error

Error returned:'A measure, set, expression or data source with the name blah blah blah already exists in the 'Model' Model. 

But I've not amended anything since installing October's update this morning. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Where can I get the September version from?

Kjmar, I have a copy of all versions of Power BI, However installing a previous version still does not fix this issue.

Converting the pbix file to a zip does allow you to get into some of the config, but I have been unsuccessful in solving this issues.

Have to redo the whole report unfortunatley. 

I had downloaded the September 2016 version last month so I just went into my downloaded files and found the previous version from that date. I did not see an option to download previous versions from the website.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I get an issue too: "Unable to Open Document. We weren´t able to restore the saved database to the model"

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.