Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gvega5
Frequent Visitor

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Hi All, 

Im getting this error message while trying to conect to a SharePoint File: 

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dcarpenter97

SOLUTION - I worked with PowerPlatform support to diagnose the problem.  It seems the issue was introduced in the OCT21 release.  We tried the SEP21 release, and it works properly.  Uninstall OCT21, version: 2.98.6830, and install SEP21 from here:

https://download.microsoft.com/download/8/8/0/880BCA75-79DD-466A-927D-1ABF1F5454B0/PBIDesktopSetup-2...

If you installed PowerBI Desktop from the Microsoft store it will automatically update, but when you install manually, it will NOT automatically update.  Just something to be aware of going forward.  During this troubleshooting, the issue was of course reported and will be addressed in a subsequent release.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Moshood_AK
Regular Visitor

I'm currently experiencing this error while trying to open my Power BI file. Any help on how to resolve this?Power BI error.png

dcarpenter97

SOLUTION - I worked with PowerPlatform support to diagnose the problem.  It seems the issue was introduced in the OCT21 release.  We tried the SEP21 release, and it works properly.  Uninstall OCT21, version: 2.98.6830, and install SEP21 from here:

https://download.microsoft.com/download/8/8/0/880BCA75-79DD-466A-927D-1ABF1F5454B0/PBIDesktopSetup-2...

If you installed PowerBI Desktop from the Microsoft store it will automatically update, but when you install manually, it will NOT automatically update.  Just something to be aware of going forward.  During this troubleshooting, the issue was of course reported and will be addressed in a subsequent release.

dcarpenter97

I can confirm this as an issue as well.  We've been using PowerBI with Excel files stored in Sharepoint for months, and suddenly started experiencing this within the past 12 hours.  I suspect it's an authentication issue that's been recently introduced.

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

where do you get that error? please share your steps

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

When I try to Edit Credentials in Power Query, I get a request from the SharePoint for User Name and Password. Once I input those, I get this error message.

gvega5_1-1634754865013.png

gvega5_0-1634754824042.png

are your credentials correct?  have you put the wrong details in maybe?    have connected successful before?

make sure you have the correct credentials 

delete the crednetials you have in your data source settings.

vanessafvg_0-1634755961948.png

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Yes, I have used the right credentials and worked just fine before.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.