Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Object Level Security Preview

Hey guys i have checked the new feature about OLS -> OLS PBI 

So far so good, i have managed to reproduce everything.

Here is my question, is there any way to turn the error message into something palpable ?

Example, a user that is not allowed to see the column/object, will see "*" or "Unauthorized" instead of the error

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

I can't access the share link, it requires additional verification.

In addition, you can create some dummy data with the same data structure and paste it here in table format. Then we can copy them to build a sample file test and share.

BTW, since this feature still in preview, I think you can contact to power bi team or submit an idea to add official support on the data connector to handle these filtered fields.
It should more simple than manually code formula every time you change these data structures.

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Did you mean to fix the structure not match issue on query editor caused by object-level security? (power query will cache the previous structure into the query steps)

If that is the case, I'd like to suggest creating a template table structure with all fields that use in the query table initialize, then you can use M query functions to set a default value in these fields if they are been filtered by OLS settings.

Creating Tables In Power BI/Power Query M Code Using #table() 
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Xiaoxin,
I have tried instanciation of the table in M and also by dax and any of this form still get's me the same visual error.
the dax used:

RestrictedDisBand= VAR ColName = "'Dim Discount band'[Discount Band]"
VAR ColAggregation = FIRSTNONBLANKVALUE('Dim Discount band'[Discount Band] ,1)
VAR CheckedMeasure = IF(ColName IN CALCULATETABLE(
VALUES('SecurityRestrictedObjects'[Restrict])
),
BLANK(),
ColAggregation
)
RETURN CheckedMeasure

I will continue exploring options, 

if there is any success please link it here-

Best regards,

ID

Hi @Anonymous,

What type of M formula that you used in your query tables? Can you please share some dummy data with a similar data structure and highlight the fields that you setting the OLS? 

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Then I can test it and try to build a template step to expand the filtered fields with blank values.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Xiaoxin,

Here is the is the PBI with a test source from Microsoft example:

PBI Test Finance 

It has both the dax approach and the table instantation approach.

The OLS applied are column level OLS on the 'Dim Discount Band'[Discount Band]

The role is called discountband at it just set's up the column level security to None

Thanks alot in Advance,

Ion

Hi @Anonymous,

I can't access the share link, it requires additional verification.

In addition, you can create some dummy data with the same data structure and paste it here in table format. Then we can copy them to build a sample file test and share.

BTW, since this feature still in preview, I think you can contact to power bi team or submit an idea to add official support on the data connector to handle these filtered fields.
It should more simple than manually code formula every time you change these data structures.

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Xiaoxin,

Yes i will preferlly do that.

It requires alot of maintance and that is indeed counterproductive.

I will post updates here.

Thanks for the advice,

ID

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-shex-msft ,

I mean the visual error that appear when you apply the OLS.

But yes, this might work.

I will try and reproduce and then i will post my progress. 

Thanks alot Xiaoxin Sheng!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.