Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Sikandar
Regular Visitor

OS user as parameter?

Hi,
Is there a way we can pass user name in query so each user can download data from a table based on this parameter while user should not be able to change the query. We have oracle database and data in a table for different users so wants to restrict. Any assistance will be appreciated. Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not a direct answer to your question, but the typical solution to your problem is to use DirectQuery and RLS.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-rls/

Hi Scottsen,
Thanks for the update but seems this link not related to desktop version. Waiting for more inputs. Thanks

Hi @Sikandar,

>>We have oracle database and data in a table for different users so wants to restrict

The different uses can get different data, they filter the table based on their name? If it is, you need to create a parameter containing all name combinations for differents. Or you also use parametor in Power Query, please review the following article which shows the detailed operations.

POWER BI DESKTOP QUERY PARAMETERS, PART 1

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and these filter are for data filteration by I want user id as parameter for data security. So will develop a dashboard and will share with all users and once they will connect will get their own data based on their OS user passed to query.  Is there a way to get current OS user as environtment variable or any other way so can use in query like

select name, amount from sales where user_id = username()

thanks

Have you been able to get any luck on your request? I'm looking to do the same thing with my company.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.