Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

CullenC
Regular Visitor

OR Logic for Slicing data on a dashboard

I would like to leverage two columns (Primary Relationship Manager, and Secondary Relationship Manager) to slice my data on a dashboard. The same users can be either primary or secondary relationships.

I would like to Slice the data in a way that a user can click their name and have the dashboard filter out all records where they are not either Primary OR Secondary.

I am having a lot of difficulty accomplishing this, even though OR logic seems like a simple and common use case. Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @CullenC,

Create a calculated table which contains only one column listing all slicer options.

All manager =
UNION (
    VALUES ( 'Manager Table'[Primary Relationship Manager] ),
    EXCEPT (
        VALUES ( 'Manager Table'[Secondary Relationship Manager] ),
        VALUES ( 'Manager Table'[Primary Relationship Manager] )
    )
)

1.PNG

Add above column into slicer.

Create measures as below:

Measure1 =
IF (
    LASTNONBLANK ( 'Manager Table'[Primary Relationship Manager], 1 )
        = LASTNONBLANK ( 'All manager'[Manager Names], 1 ),
)

Measure2 =
IF (
    LASTNONBLANK ( 'Manager Table'[Secondary Relationship Manager], 1 )
        = LASTNONBLANK ( 'All manager'[Manager Names], 1 ),
)

Measure3 = IF(OR([Measure1],[Measure2])=TRUE(),1,0)

Then, add corresponding fields into table visual. Add Measure3 into Visual level filters and set its filter value to 1.

3.PNG

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yulgu-msft,

Thanks for the great start.

I am running into issues with how this interacts with my Bar Graph.

One nuance is that Secondary Relationship Manager is not required and is a null value in many cases. Due to this, I cannot create a relationship between the tables.

How can I account for this?

Thanks, again!

Hi @CullenC,

How do you want to interact with Bar Graph? Please describe with more details.

Since "Secondary Relationship Manager is not required and is a null value in many cases", why do you need to consider this column when applying filters? 

For further analysis, please provide sample data and screenshot to show your desired output.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yulgu-msft

These Primary and Secondary Relationship Managers will have to meet with their clients a couple times a year. Part of my Data is the Review Date for these meetings.

Using a Count of Review Date as the Value and the Date (Months) as the x-axis, I want the team to see a distribution of meetings over the year. Additionally, I'd like them to be able to click the slicer from the first part of this post, and see a personalized distribution of their involvement as a Primary OR a Secondary Manager. 

If that doesn't make sense I'll try to provide screen shots and sample Data.

Thanks!

Hi @CullenC,

As I don't know your table structure and how to calculate the "Count of Review', it would be better you can post sample data and screenshot.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.