Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

OLTP Architecture Design

hi team

we are in process of developing power bi reports for our business and i need few architectural questions for below :

we have OLTP system with normalized data and the data size is 4GB and we have like 180 tables out of which most of them tables are interrelated . In such case should i go with modelling at power bi ? It seems really compicated where i am uncessarly pulling all the tables into power bi .

we have the full access to the datawarehouse (It's not but we have history for OLTP records) . Where i am thiking to go with below option :

Suppose we have 4 tables

customer

account

dimdate

purchase

As i told all these are raw tables and there is no particlaur like fact and dimensions . Instead of pulling all these tables into powerbi and create realtionship which in my case is not possible where i need to remove dupcliatees and apply business logics.

select p.x,a.customer,z.accountnumber  from purchase p join customer a on a.x=p.x

join account  z

join date c

where -------** some conditions--------***

this will be popualted like fact_transformation table . This what i am hoping to pull into powerbi where i can preety straightforward use the table where i can create the filters from dimension columns and do it .

what you do suggest here on my approach ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as a solution to close the case.

Regards,
Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

You’d better not to go with modeling at power BI.

Setting them up in Power BI takes more time. I don't find it quite as easy as doing it in SQL. For example, Power BI doesn't allow you to join two tables together on more than one column. So if you need to join two tables together on more than one column, you need to create another column in Power BI to concatinate the other columns, and then join on that. joins in DAX are costly on performance, so your reports may be slow, which could be a disaster.

Regards,

Frank

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @v-frfei-msft

so you want me do everything at SQL and pull the data right?

Hi @Anonymous,

In your situation, Yes!

Regards,

Frank

Hi @Anonymous,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as a solution to close the case.

Regards,
Frank

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.