Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kurtle
Helper II
Helper II

OLE DB or ODBC error: Type mismatch - With no transformations done to Datatype

Hi everyone,

I am receiving this error when trying to add a couple of new columns to my dataset: OLE DB or ODBC error: Type mismatch. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80020005 (DISP_E_TYPEMISMATCH)).

I have combed through the forums here and in a variety of other places to try and find a solution but they all appear to say that it is due to a data type transformation which I am not doing, just filtering: 
Annotation 2020-07-15 110358.png
The column that I believe is the root cause is deleted_at which I filter down to be null.
Annotation 2020-07-15 110612.png

In the source (MariaDB) the datatype is timestamp:
Annotation 2020-07-15 111039.png 
Does anyone know if this is an issue with the source system or if I am doing something wrong? 

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, this problem was solved after a week and a half of back and forth with support. There were 2 cell values that were causing this issue. Instead of 2020 the cell had 2020 (10). Not sure why the quary wasn't returned with errors instead of cancelling the entire refresh but they are looking into it some more.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hi @Kurtle ,

was your problem solved?

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

Yes, this problem was solved after a week and a half of back and forth with support. There were 2 cell values that were causing this issue. Instead of 2020 the cell had 2020 (10). Not sure why the quary wasn't returned with errors instead of cancelling the entire refresh but they are looking into it some more.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@amitchandak The table the is causing this issue has less than 100 rows with no errors in the date columns. I only use the deleted_at column to filter out items that have been soft deleted. These videos do not cover the OLE DB or ODBC error: Type mismatch. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80020005 (DISP_E_TYPEMISMATCH)) error

Hi @Kurtle ,

Refer the following post, hope them help.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Error-OLE-DB-or-ODBC-error-Expression-Error-We-cannot-conve...

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/OLE-DB-or-ODBC-error-Type-mismatch-Exception-from-HRESULT/m...

Make sure your column does not have different types of data.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ zhenbw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

> Make sure that the column does not have different types of data.

This was the solution for my case. The last records added to my dataset were in a different format.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.