cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkJames Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

OLE DB or ODBC error: Type mismatch. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80020005)

Hi,

I'm really struggling to understand the error I'm having and I really hope someone can help me.

In Desktop I'm using an ODBC Connection to access a number of different data sources. One of them keeps throwing up the following error:

01.PNG

In the ODBC connection I'm using SQL to bring back the data. I have a number of different date fields in this query.  When I have the main date at, for example '2019-02-04' the report works fine. But when I push this back to the start of 2019 it throws up this error. I'm not making any changes to the format of any data fields after it comes in to Desktop:

02.PNG

The only think I'm doing it adding a couple of custom columns and doing a bit of a clean up.

I've read other posts about this but none of them make sense to me. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

MarkJames

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Regular Visitor

Re: OLE DB or ODBC error: Type mismatch. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80020005)

Hi @rocky09 ,

I had a similar report set up on the Power BI Service that failed to refresh but provided me with a more detailed error. It turns out one of the fields contains string values when the ODBC connection was expecting date. When I checked the set up for the original data source the field in question was shown as a string so I'm not sure where the change occured.

Luckily, in this instance, I think I'll be able to omit the field from the report as I don't think it's entirely necessary. Hopefully that will negate the issue.

Thanks,

MarkJames

2 REPLIES 2
rocky09 Senior Member

check the formats of the Column.  First remove every step except source and try one by one. You will find which step is throwing the error.

Regular Visitor

Hi @rocky09 ,

I had a similar report set up on the Power BI Service that failed to refresh but provided me with a more detailed error. It turns out one of the fields contains string values when the ODBC connection was expecting date. When I checked the set up for the original data source the field in question was shown as a string so I'm not sure where the change occured.

Luckily, in this instance, I think I'll be able to omit the field from the report as I don't think it's entirely necessary. Hopefully that will negate the issue.

Thanks,

MarkJames