Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

OLE DB or ODBC error: Type mismatch. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80020005 (DISP_E_TYPEMISMATCH))

hey there, guys, someone please HELP me solve this problem im facing in Power Bi Desktop.

Everytime i change sources from one excel to another excel (because the datat needed to be updated, and i apply changes by clicking "CLOSE AND APPLY" from the Edit Query, i get this message EVERY SINGLE TIME:  

"OLE DB or ODBC error: Type mismatch. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80020005 (DISP_E_TYPEMISMATCH))"

Its so anoying because i ve tried almost everything that ive read online, ive even noticed that my Filters dont seem be be chaging in the list of filters in "Page Level Filters" they seem to stick to the exact exact same at the previous excel document, (could that be the issue)

Im facing these two problems and i have a feeling that the filters showing up to be the same from my previous excel document, that it has something to do with a mismatch of not having the same text as my new colom for the filters from my new excel document.

For example:

Excel document 1 has the filter: "Text 1"

Excel document 2 has the filter: "Text 2"

I want the filter to show "Text 2"

Now ive change the soucre of excel in the EDIT QUERIES" page from Excel document 1 to Excel document 2.

When i got to apply the changes ive made in the EDIT QUERIES, the message: "OLE DB or ODBC error: Type mismatch. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80020005 (DISP_E_TYPEMISMATCH))" comes up.

and when i go to  refresh, i cant, it gives me the same messages error.

and when i go to look at the filters in the PAGE LEVEL FILTERS, still no change and still has "Text 1" as filter and not "Text 2"

WHY

PLEASE HELP !!!

"I CANNOT FULLY UNDERSTAND WHAT IS THIS ERROR MESSAGE:

OLE DB or ODBC error: Type mismatch. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80020005 (DISP_E_TYPEMISMATCH))"

Thanks,

Jason Kovac

5 REPLIES 5
Summer080100
Employee
Employee

Here is what I did when I met the issue. Go to transform data, then modify each column's type. Then save. At last, refresh.

By doing this, the problem I met is resolved. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I resolved this by:

1. Save As a backup copy of your pbix file.
  2. Do Get-Data and point at the data source causing the problem in the backup copy.
  3. Make sure no problems in the query.
  4. Open Advanced Query Editor and copy contents
  5. Paste New Advanced Query into original file with the problematic query.

Power Bi Reconnecting to the data source got the data types correct.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous ,

This issue appears when your data structure changes and data type conversion failed.(due to data type not matched)

Can you confirm these files has same data structure?(e.g. data type, field name, separator... ) 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

when you mean, "Data structure" can you give more details, im not sure i quite understand.

HI @Anonymous ,

>>when you mean, "Data structure" can you give more details, im not sure i quite understand.

It means you query table structure.(fields type, name, query steps...)

BTW, you can also take a look at following link about same issue:

OLE DB or ODBC error DISP_E_TYPEMISMATCH

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.