Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gauravnarchal
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

OLE DB or ODBC error: Type mismatch. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80020005 (DISP_E_TYPEMISMATCH))

Hello

I am getting the error "OLE DB or ODBC error: Type mismatch. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80020005 (DISP_E_TYPEMISMATCH))." when trying to refresh my data.

I have duplicated one column and converted it to the whole number. But in some rows, their alphanumeric character which I think is giving an error. Can you pls help me with how I can resolve this?

gauravnarchal_0-1623857689272.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

then you must first  find  them and convert them to ablank or null before you can change it to a whole number?  Or you can just create a a new column that checks if its a number and then puts the number in the new  custom colume ie

if Value.Is(Value.FromText([COLUMN]), type number) then COLUMN else null

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @gauravnarchal ,

If the Column contains both Alpha-numeric, Numeric, Text values, you will not be able to assign the data type = whole number for that column. Here are two steps that you might wanna take now

1. Either filter all the Alpha Numeric values from the column.

alekhved_1-1623859944739.png

Convert Datatype to Whole Number

alekhved_2-1623860027867.png

After conversion remove errors. (right click on Column1)

alekhved_3-1623860067896.png

2. Select the row Data type as "Text"

alekhved_0-1623859689048.png

Thanks!

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

are you saying you have changed the field to a whole number but there are still some alphanumeric characters in it?  if so that would explain it.   You could remove the error rows.  But what is the rule you need to apply here?  What happens to those values if you only looking for whole numbers?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

@vanessafvg  - I want these errors to be ignored.  Either blank or null

Thank You.

then you must first  find  them and convert them to ablank or null before you can change it to a whole number?  Or you can just create a a new column that checks if its a number and then puts the number in the new  custom colume ie

if Value.Is(Value.FromText([COLUMN]), type number) then COLUMN else null

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.