Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

walla386
Helper I
Helper I

OLE DB or ODBC error: How to pinpoint error

Hello,

Recently I had the following error when refreshing: "OLE DB or ODBC error: Type mismatch. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80020005 (DISP_E_TYPEMISMATCH))."

Based off of other posts it seems like the issue is conflicting data types between files. I was wondering if there was a way to find out which column in my data is causing the issue so I don't have to comb through all of my data?

Thanks!

Rob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @walla386 ,

If you have build permission for the dataset associated with the report , you can download the pbix file for the corresponding report from Power BI Service first.

yingyinr_2-1631854296176.png

Then open it in Power BI Desktop and click Refresh to see which query is reporting an error when you refresh it. In general, this error is reported because the column with the data type Date contains a text value. The following ones are some threads with similar problem to yours, please check the solution. Hope they can help you solve the problem.

OLE DB or ODBC error: Type mismatch. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80020005)

Error on refresh powerbi based on sharepoint folder/excel structure

OLE DB or ODBC error: type mismatch (exception from HRESULT: 0x80020005 (DISP_E_TYPEMISMATCH))  (check the message 8 from chabib )

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @walla386 ,

If you have build permission for the dataset associated with the report , you can download the pbix file for the corresponding report from Power BI Service first.

yingyinr_2-1631854296176.png

Then open it in Power BI Desktop and click Refresh to see which query is reporting an error when you refresh it. In general, this error is reported because the column with the data type Date contains a text value. The following ones are some threads with similar problem to yours, please check the solution. Hope they can help you solve the problem.

OLE DB or ODBC error: Type mismatch. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80020005)

Error on refresh powerbi based on sharepoint folder/excel structure

OLE DB or ODBC error: type mismatch (exception from HRESULT: 0x80020005 (DISP_E_TYPEMISMATCH))  (check the message 8 from chabib )

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.