Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

QIAO
Helper II
Helper II

OLE DB or ODBC error: [Expression.Error] We couldn't fold the expression to the data source.

When I try to use Direct Query, an error occurs like "OLE DB or ODBC error: [Expression.Error] We couldn't fold the expression to the data source. ".

WeChat Image_20180126160517.png

It's a third ODBC Driver which can run when using Import mode.

26 REPLIES 26

Hi, I am having the same issue when using snowflake to direct query, any suggestions? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would suggest to connect through Snowflake connector in Power BI and put the custom query in the advanced section (Select * from TABLE) of loading new data source. See if that helps. 

Thank you, thats what we are currently doing. Everything was working fine then all of a sudden it flags that error now. Since you are so responsive lol, I have another question, not many people use snowflake and power bi, and I cannot get support from either end. When connecting in desktop mode everything works great but when I publish I continue to get a credentials error, did this ever happen to you?

Anonymous
Not applicable

It didn't happen to me. But some of things to check is the how is the gateway connection configured and always suggest to use organizational authentication. Other way is to turn off the gateway connection and enter in the snowflake credentials in the data source setting and select following options for authentication methods.

hpatel_0-1637347858776.png

In case of direct query, if you are using snowflake credentials method, all your users will need to be set up as "users" in Snowflake as well.

Thank you so much! I have tried all of the above :(. Still no luck! I will try to reach out to support once again! I greatly appreciate your help.

It's the latest version. When Power BI trace turned on, it output like:

DataMashup.Trace Warning: 24579 : {"Start":"2018-01-29T03:14:27.6225607Z","Action":"OdbcQuery/FoldingWarning","HostProcessId":"8744","ErrorMessage":"Data Type of column cntnum with searchable property UNSEARCHABLE should be SEARCHABLE or ALL_EXCEPT_LIKE. You can override the supported data types from ODBC driver using SQLGetTypeInfo.","ProductVersion":"2.54.4970.961 (PBIDesktop)","ActivityId":"7e8bcd2a-e17e-4d3f-a592-a2b2c71080cd","Process":"Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX40","Pid":15572,"Tid":1,"Duration":"00:00:00.0003110"}

And Power BI does not call SQLGetTypeInfo at all.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.