Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error] ... help needed

Hello All, 

I am currently using the January 2020 Ed of Power BI Desktop as the company I'm working for has not approved the latest verison of Power BI.

I'm using a SharePoint List as a dataset for a Power BI report I am developing. The data set is a set of projects where it measures the demand (hours requested) , commit (hours approved), and gap\constricted hours (hours requested - hours approved) of specific resources per month. The data set was built so there would be 3 columns (demand, commit, gap) for each month reported on per resource. The data set originally looks like this:

ProjectResourceDepartmentJul 2020 DemandJul 2020 CommitJul 2020 GapAug 2020 DemandAug 2020 CommitAug 2020 Gap 
Project APMDept 14040040400 
Project ABSADept 120101020200 
Project AIT DeveloperDept 200040400 

To present thsi in a chronological order, I needed to pivot the monthly information on the data table, which has expanded the size of the file. the modified data set appears as follows:

ProjectResourceDepartmentMonth CatHours
Project APMDept 1Jul 2020 Demand40
Project APMDept 1Jul 2020 Commit40
Project APMDept 1Jul 2020 Gap0
Project APMDept 1Aug 2020 Demand40
Project APMDept 1Aug 2020 Commit40
Project APMDept 1Aug 2020 Gap 0
Project ABSADept 1Jul 2020 Demand20
Project ABSADept 1Jul 2020 Commit10
Project ABSADept 1Jul 2020 Gap10

I've built out the report using the first data set I uploaded, however when I try to refresh the data set, the refresh process begins as normal, but stops half way through and I receive the following error:

OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error] SharePoint: Request failed: The underlying connection was closed. An unexpected error occurred on a receive.

I'm interpreting this error meaning that the refresh request failed because of a backend timeout issue or the connection was somehow lost during the download of the refreshed data. Has anyone experienced this issue? If so, what steps were taken to resolve the issue?

Thanks again for your help, 

Neel D

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous , 

I am not sure whether this is caused by the version or connection. You could try to check whether the credential in dataset setting is correct. if you refresh this in local desktop, will it refresh successfully? By the way, if you could update desktop, I suggestion, you could try to update desktop , then test this again to see whether it work or not.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous , 

I am not sure whether this is caused by the version or connection. You could try to check whether the credential in dataset setting is correct. if you refresh this in local desktop, will it refresh successfully? By the way, if you could update desktop, I suggestion, you could try to update desktop , then test this again to see whether it work or not.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zoe Zhi, 

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately where I work still needs to approve the latest update to Power BI before I can download it. Thus updating the application is not an option. 

I'm new to Power BI, so I don't know how to confirm that I'm using my credentials to access the data set. Is there an option in settings to accomplish this task? Please let me know,

ixdutt

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.