Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error] MySQL: Fatal error encountered during data read.

Hi all, 

I encountered the error message when applying query changes as below:

OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error] MySQL: Fatal error encountered during data read.

I have checked the DB connection and the database all work fine. Can anyone advise? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @Anonymous,

I'd say there was an error on one of the steps, perhaps it wasnt shown on the query editor, (you'd need to refresh in every single step), and there's also the possibility that some data that wasnt being loaded in the query editor was causing the error (i.e, a  # when a numeric value is expected, i've suffered a couple of times by replacing # by empty spaces after setting the data type to numeric, even tough it might work in the query editor, when the full data set is loaded it will give an error)

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Veera12
Frequent Visitor

I'm also facing the same issue I have tried with limit 100 my query is working fine and loading the data fine 
If I try to load the all the data while loading I'm getting error 

OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error] MySQL: Fatal error encountered during data read.. 

@Salvador @fexiao @Wedson_veras @Syed_Abbas-7 @Digger 
how to resolve

Wedson_veras

<pre id="tw-target-text" class="tw-data-text tw-text-large tw-ta" dir="ltr" data-placeholder="Tradu&ccedil;&atilde;o"><span class="Y2IQFc" lang="en">Each case is different,
it always happens to me,
my solution is,
Log out of all Microsoft accounts including Power Bi and log in again.
Sometimes we remain logged in with our personal account and business account on Microsoft and there may be a conflict</span></pre>

This is an interesting angle. Maybe MS support people can comment.

fexiao
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Here is my update after more guess and validation. I would like to share my opinion on this topic.

After applying query change or refreshing reports, we can observe loading progress of each table. There is one table showing quite many rows loading and spending a lot of minutes. However the table actually contains very limited number of records. Thinking of calculation with SelectRows(), I narrowed down both couping tables to several records and then observed the kind of couping leading to multiplication of both table row numbers during loading. So far, root cause was basically identified.

Then, after moving mentioned calculation to data preparition phase because the calculation is unrelated to all data slicing, the loading is very very fast, just actual size of row both table loaded as per prompt. Of course, offloading dynamic calculation to report with DAX should also be another option.

After all, it can be concluded that couping b/w tables put multiplying load in loading. As a result, often dataset often fails due to expiry.

Hope helpful for you!

Can I talk to you in private, I have the same problem and I suffered a lot with that problem

fexiao
Frequent Visitor

I am suffering from the same trouble. Even though, all numberic columns were validated with any valid number, I still got "OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error] MySQL: Fatal error encountered during data read.."

Of course, I refreshed all applied steps one by one as well.

Any other suggestion or idea on the situation?

Syed_Abbas-7

I would suggest refresh first in query editor and apply it. Later click close option and move to dashboard. It worked for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

I'm getting same error while importing a view from MySQL.
The data has around 1 lakh record and I haven't applied any steps others than importing the view from MySQL.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try updating sql-netconnector and power bi. Hope this works for you.

hilmandenis
Frequent Visitor

In my case, the root cause is probably a hardware issue. Because when I try to refresh it from my laptop, no matter how Applied Steps is arranged, it still shows the error. But when I give it to my manager, it's just working fine 😐

Salvador
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hello,

Have you checked all the steps in the query editor in case any of them gives an error? (You might have to do a refresh on the query editor)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Salvador,

I have done the refresh and checked the query editor and everythings seems fine in query editor with no error return. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I managed to get rid of this error message by redoing the query steps, one by one. After completing one step then i click on close and apply and save after the applying steps succeed and repeat for second steps.

Anyway, i would like to know the root cause of it so that i can prevent it in future. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello. 

You redo the query steps in the power query editor in powerbi?

Im kind of new in this and im trying to stablish a connection to mysql. 

I´ll be waiting for an answer. 

Best Regards

Hello @Anonymous,

I'd say there was an error on one of the steps, perhaps it wasnt shown on the query editor, (you'd need to refresh in every single step), and there's also the possibility that some data that wasnt being loaded in the query editor was causing the error (i.e, a  # when a numeric value is expected, i've suffered a couple of times by replacing # by empty spaces after setting the data type to numeric, even tough it might work in the query editor, when the full data set is loaded it will give an error)

Hi @Salvador @fexiao @Wedson_veras @Syed_Abbas-7 @Digger 
I"m also facing the same error but if while exicuting the my sql query if i limit 100 rows I'm able to load the data 
If I'm not  limit the rows Im getting this error 
while loading the power query I'm able to get if i applay colse&applay in powerbi I'm getting error 
How to resove this issue could you please help me on this

Hi,

Limiting data size is indeed working for such kind of mentioned issues. However, such limitation is not needed in final production. So we need a tradeoff approach.

Here is a magical approach I am using. I listed the steps below.

1. Define a logic parameter, named as e.g. DebugMode. Set its default value to True.

2. While importing data from data source, limit data size to proper value in case DebugMode = True.

3. Publish your PBI app to specific workspace.

4. Go to the workspace and modify the parameter to False.

5. Update your app.

Please try above approach. Behind it, I suppose PBI server side have stronger performance and capacity to accomodate bigger size of data.

it is not true, when i refresh single table which give error on main refresh, error does not appears

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.