Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

snetsmart
Frequent Visitor

OData credentials not working in Power BI Desktop; works fine in Excel

I, too, am having the same issue. I've tried to use oauth to use the odata feed in Power BI Desktop and I get "Unable to connect. Check your credentials." However, I am able to access the same tables via Excel with the same credentials.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you! I figured it out, as it worked from a remote location. It's actually a setting on the server -- forms authentication needs to be checked when signing in with ADFS. This link explains it, but hopefully will help someone else with the same issue in the future.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/error-signing-in-with-adfs-and-azure-ad/

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@snetsmart What is your Odata source? I think I ran into this initially when connecting to Project online. The user I was signing in with was not my own, so I had to sign out of the PBI Desktop and sign in with that user account.

Also, in that instance, for some reason even though the metadata returned table names in the singular "Project" the Odata connection was to "Projects". - don't know if this applies at all, but those were two recent things I had to work through when using Odata.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

My source is also Project Online. But, I'm signing in with my own credentials on both sides.

I'm using the URL "......sharepoint.com/sites/pwa/_api/ProjectData"

@snetsmart Hmm. Do you have the right permissions on the Project Online side?

I used: https://<InstanceName>.sharepoint.com/sites/pwa/_api/ProjectData

signing in using the Organizational account

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

This is odd as the permissions on the Project side should globally allow or deny data access, regardless of entry point. If you put the OData url in your browser and log in when prompted, does it return data?

I'll see if there's any known issues at the moment on my Project MVP email group. Also, which version of Power BI Desktop and Excel are you using? 

Treb Gatte | Business Solutions MVP | Power BI Recordings | @tgatte | Blog 

Thank you! I figured it out, as it worked from a remote location. It's actually a setting on the server -- forms authentication needs to be checked when signing in with ADFS. This link explains it, but hopefully will help someone else with the same issue in the future.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/error-signing-in-with-adfs-and-azure-ad/

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.