Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sumi
Regular Visitor

OData: The feed's metadata document appears to be invalid."

I am trying to connect to dynamics 365 online from power BI and i am getting an error as 

Unable to connect :  Details: "OData: The feed's metadata document appears to be invalid."

The URL i am using to connect is https://<instance name>.api.crm.dynamics.com/api/data/v8.2/

I dont know if i am missing something , can someone help me with this ? TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Yeah, I ran into this and opened an Issue on it, there is a work-a-round:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Connecting-to-Dynamics-365-trows-error-about-invalid-OData/i...

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I'm quiet new using PowerBI,  ran to the issue connecting PowerBI to PWA , It happened to me from friday. I could refresh data previuosly with no error but now recieving this " OData: The feed's metadata document appears to be invalid. Error: An error was read from the payload. See the 'Error' property for more details. 

Any thought?

mariov
Frequent Visitor

For me the solution to 'invalid metadata' error was to use OData instead of ODataV4. Not sure why this occurs only on our customer's BC instance.

WCONGRAVE
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi,

Same Issue here - refresh works fine in Desktop but not when published to the web. Can we unmark this as solved, as it's not working!

FYI - just seen that this is listed on the powerBi Health Status monitor

"Users may be unable to connect to Dynamics CRM 9.0 using the OData connector in Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service. If this issue is impacting you, you'll see a connector error letting you know the feed's metadata document appears to be invalid. Engineers are working to deploy a partial mitigation to affected environments. Engineers are working on a complete mitigation. Next update @07/27/2018 17:00 PDT"

https://ideas.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/668836-power-bi-service-health-status

pietvn
Regular Visitor

Also running into exact same issue for more than 1 week now. My CRM is also crm3 ( Canada)...

The PowerBI Desktop refresh works fine, schedule a refresh in web version no success.

Failed to update data source credentials: OData: The feed's metadata document appears to be invalid

Cheers,

Pieter

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Yeah, I ran into this and opened an Issue on it, there is a work-a-round:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Connecting-to-Dynamics-365-trows-error-about-invalid-OData/i...

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

The solution didn't work for me.  I am trying to connect to a On-Prem SharePoint site and get the same error.  I did create the blank query and copied the code and added my source, but continue to get the error message.

Hi

Did you ever get this to work?  We have Dynamics CRM on-prem and i am trying to implement PowerBi for the first time.  I am getting the same error as everyone else here with a whole bunch of UnexpectedXMLAtrributes.   Can anyone help please?

This solution does not work for me either. My situation is a little different, I have existing reports using data from Dynamics 365 that have not been able to refresh since Friday.

Same exact error message.

To rebuild these reports is extremely time consuming. I tried the solution above and it did not change anything. The only difference is my instance is crm3 (Canada) but aside from that I'm not sure what else to do.

We are experiencing the same issue in Canada. I can get it to work in Power BI Desktop (and subsequently publish the report) by altering the connect string to look like this:

Source = OData.Feed("https://ORGANIZATION.api.crm3.dynamics.com/api/data/v8.2", null, [Implementation="2.0"])

the key being to add the last two parameters, but I receive the same metadata error if I try to use the schedule refresh feature online when it asks for the credentials. At least the report can be published while I wait for Microsoft to work on the ticket. 

I have the exact same problem, 

refresh works fine from powerbi desktop but it is impossible to schedule a refresh in powerbi Service .... My CRM is also crm3 ( Canada)...

Tried every solutions posted here... not working, ticket has been opened with microsoft for over 2 weeks.

Hi everyone,

So I have been testing this morning and have the following situation.  Trying to connect to online instance through Power BI Desktop and failing with the error.  

I did some more testing with other instances / environments I have access to and here is the results:

1.  Works fine with 9.0 instance (no MFA):   [version 1612 (9.0.2.449) (DB 9.0.2.449) online]

2.  Works fine with 8.2 instance (no MFA):   [Version 1612 (8.2.2.2060) (DB 8.2.2.2060) online]

3.  Does not work with 8.2 instance (MFA):  [Version 1612 (8.2.2.2060) (DB 8.2.2.2060) online]

Is this just an issue with MFA and how it is working with Power BI here?

Any similar situations for others?

Thanks,

Drew

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors