Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alefielm
Frequent Visitor

ODBC vs Redshift connector, looking for advanced queries

Hi, I used to work with powerBI+MSSQL/MySql, in that environment I was able to write queries to import data so I just download the fields/relations I need without creating more elements on the DB.

Now I'm working with Redshift and the connector doesn't let me write queries, here are the questiones:

ODBC let me write queries, so will I suffer any complications or performance problems migrating to ODBC in desktop/Gateway? I'm creating more views than I like in Redshift and queries are the natural solution.

And, is there a roadmap to have the advanced query option in the redshift connector? Yes I voted the idea:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/32334325-advance-query-option-for...

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @alefielm,

I guess redshift connector should have better performance than odbc connector, odbc should have better compatibility than redshift connector.  For performance issues, I'd like to suggest you contact redshift support to get further support.

I haven't heard any plans about improving redshift connector, maybe you can submit an idea for this requirement.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I submitted the link for the idea in the first post, is the *default* AWS database, I thought they will improve a little more the connector, at least for custom queries.

Also there is no good ODBC support on Power BI gateway service (dedicated server)

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.